upgrade from original iPhone to iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ineedamac, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I have an original iPhone that I bought a month or so after the initial release. I love my iPhone and I am happy with the overall performance. My question is that I keep seeing the 3G iPhone and the more I see people using it the more I want to get the 3G. Is there someone that has upgraded that can provide me with their thoughts? Was it worth it? Is the performance better enough to justify the cost of the new iPhone?

2. Razeus macrumors 601

wait til june, before you go and get one and lock yourself in a contract. that's what I'm doing. i hate to buy a 3G now, and in 5 months, they release better spec'd hardware (say a 3MP camera, better chips for call quality, etc.) and I'm stuck with a 2nd generation phone for 2 years. They'll be on iPhone 5 by the time the contract is up. This way, I'll have iPhone 3, and when the contract is up, I can evaluate iPhone 5 - basically giving me an upgrade every other year.

3. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I didn't think I wanted to but ended up talking myself into it after hearing the EDGE network was going to be downgraded in the process of upgrading the 3G. I don't regret it a bit.

I'd say go for it!

4. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

I got my iPhone 3G for free on my cell plan (O2-UK, £45p/m), so I was hardly going to turn it down. I got the original within 10 minutes of its official launch in the UK, so I guess I count as an 'early adopter' ;)

My view is to go for it. I'm confident that if a new iPhone were to be released, I'd be offered it for free in exchange for signing up to another 18 months of my cell plan.

5. ineedamac thread starter macrumors 6502

But should we really expect better hardware and a 32 gb iPhone in June? I hate to wait only to have the same options. What if June comes and then it is suggested to wait until December? Oh the agony. I wish I could get a better idea that 'yes, there will be major updates coming in June'. That would make waiting a little easier. Of course then Apple may be stuck with some current iPhones if everyone waits like me...

6. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I have an original 2G phone, and my boyfriend has a 3G. To me, I don't really see much of a performance differance between the two. If anything, here in NYC where AT&T's 3G network is surprisingly uneven, I've actually gotten some better performance in some cases, depending where we are in the city (EDGE at full strength can sometimes be better than 3G with just a bar or two).

The only times his iPhone has definitely performed better is the rare occasions we've needed GPS for exact locations. However, my phone is just as good in most cases -- enough that we would get by quite well with just my phone. With his, it's just slightly more exact, I guess. But it's not often we even need to use it, living in NYC.

In all honesty, I don't know if spending the extra money every month for his 3G phone really makes it worth it. There are times he wishes he just had an original iPhone (we both prefer the look of it too). If it was me, I would wait to see about a possible new version in June -- since the original phone still performs quite well, and the 3G is just not ENOUGH of a performance jump for me to want to get it. I would rather see if there are other hardware improvements in the waiting which would make upgrading more appealing. If a new version doesn't come, then you can make a decision then. But if it DOES, you'll be kicking yourself.

Although your situation may differ than mine. The 3G network in your area might be really strong, and you might need GPS a lot more than I do. You just have to decide what's most important for you.

7. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I lost my 2G iPhone and had no choice but to get the 3G. I'm not really thrilled with it, but I don't hate it either. The first gen phone felt better to me. The sound is definitely better on the 3G (iPod and external speakers), I don't see all that much a difference on 3G speeds (NYC and Long Island). GPS is cool, but limited in usefulness right now.

Having said that, wait for June. I would hope to see some real advancements from the P.A. Semi acquisition. I would think better battery life and a faster CPU.

There's also some competition coming (finally) to rival the iPhone. You may want to see what the other carriers are offering if you don't like the next gen iPhone.

8. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

If you can wait til June, do it, but if you really want it, get it! It's worth it. The GPS and 3G alone make it worth it.

9. ineedamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to wait. My current iPhone works fine and maybe there will be some enhancements or a 32 GB iPhone in June. :) If not then I'll just pick up a 16 GB over the summer.

10. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

My recommendation is to get the 3G and sell your 2G. I got $400 for my 2G on E-Bay. You might not get that much in June.

The 2G iPhone works well but there are two things missing that I had to have in 3G.

1. Simulatenous data and voice. On the 2G phone, you can't do both. If you are surfing the net, your phone calls go directly to voice mail.

2. Faster 3G speeds. Also, you can't use the iTunes store on 2G.

11. iSovereign macrumors newbie

faster 3G speeds ovcourse, but what are you talking about 2G users cant use the itunes store? :confused:

12. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

This is actually why I PREFER the original phone. When I'm surfing the web, I really don't want the experience interrupted by phone calls (though I can see why that could be important for business users). Is there a way to temporaily block calls while web browsing on the 3G?

It's a common misconception. Since Apple has been touting that the Wifi store can now be accessed using 3G, people assume that means EDGE users still can't go there. We CAN - it's just downloading anything is going to take a much longer time. It's still doable in a pinch, though...

13. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Plus considering the new Touch has better hardware than even the 3G, first generation iPhone may be obsolete not too far down the road. $400 will be the diminishing resale value for the phone.

14. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I did the math. Not upgrading until June saves $600 between the cheaper data plan, not forking out the $200, and not losing subsidizing pricing. That equates to an absolutely free iPhone.

Don't sell your first generation iPhone! It's like selling an original gameboy or an Atari. In 10 years when half the people standing next to you have the current iPhone, keep it in a plexiglas case in your briefcase, that way when you shuffle papers around and someone notices, you can just say, "Oh yeah, that's just my original iPhone." Talk about cool.

15. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I've had my 2G almost a year. Where I live, we can't access the 3G unless we drive like 4 hours. I know plenty of people who have the 3G and are paying considerably more than me, for less. I get 200 free emails a month etc...

In addition, I really like the look of the aluminum over the plastic. Although, when I'm traveling, I notice that the 3G phones do tend to get better reception in some areas

Until the 3G coverage is expanded, I'll wait until iPhone 5 or 6 or whatever.

Coachingguy

16. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I moved to a 3G after having the 2G since early July after its release. I did so because I was having trouble with ringer volume and phone receiver volume, both of which are much better on the 3G. And 3G service just came to my area within the last couple of months.

If ringer volume and receiver volume had been better on the original phone, I probably wouldn't have switched, though. My plan had been to see what the third iteration would bring. But I am pleased with the switch. Net service cost for me is about the same with a discount associated with my place of employment that isn't available for the first generation phone.

17. ineedamac thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess the Apple gods are going to make my decision for me...

My iPhone died today. :( When I go into any app, phone, email, text, web, the top half of the touch screen stops working. I tried a restore and I am getting the same result.

This sucks. I had decided to keep my current iPhone until June to wait to see about a hardware update.

I called Apple tech support and it will cost me $199 to have the hardware repaired. I might as well just get a new iPhone for that price. :)

18. ineedamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is the latest...I walked into my local AT&T store and explained my situation. They said I can either go to the local Apple store, about 30 minutes away, or just get a new 3G iPhone for $199. I decided on the later since I did not want to drive 30 minutes, pay the same amount and end up with the 1st generation iPhone that would then have cost $199 plus the $399 I paid when I originally bought the 1st generation iPhone soon after the initial release.

So, now I have my 3G iPhone. All is well. :)

19. Rusalka macrumors regular

Rusalka

oooh, that sucks. Did you drop it? or did it just wear out?

20. ineedamac thread starter macrumors 6502

I did not drop it. It simply stopping responding while I was using it.

21. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I had that happen to one of my 2G phones. Top of the screen stopped working. I think I went through 4 phones before I got a good one.

My 3G phone has been perfect since I purchased it the day after its release.