Upgrade from original MBP 1.83 first gen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Nov 6, 2008.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Hi

I am considering upgrading my first gen MBP to either:
    2.4 Aluminum MBP or
    last rev of the MBP

That is about equal cost, actually a little less for the MBP online.

Here is what I like and dislike about my MBP.
    - The heat, way too much, hate not being able to use it in my lap and to hear the fans come on with the help of SMC fan control.:mad:
    + Screen and keyboard is great.:)

Would like to use 4 GB so I can run Vista in WMware.
    Dont really care about express port, never used it.
    Have an iMac with firewire so that doesnt matter either.

Want something fast, cool, portable, great battery time, backlit keyboard and 4GB
    Want a good screen but 15" not a requirement.

I read a lot of good about the lack of heat in the MB but bad screen while the previous MBP has great screen but seems to suffer from heat problem still.

What is the advice, MB or MBP previous generation?

Many thanks in advance! :)

2. jakespeed macrumors member

I would say that any MBP after the first gen is pretty easy to live with . I had a Santa Rosa and while it got warm on my lap while using to surf etc, it was not hot at all. Nothing like the First Gen Macbook or Pro. I recently upgraded to the Unibody MBP and run it mostly on Better Battery Life and it's even better. It runs cool at all times except when charging when it's slightly warm. I think you will be happy either way.

Heat aside I have to say the build quality is remarkably better on the new ones. There are some complaints about the new ones but when I put mine next to my old one it was night and day. At first I was disappointed about a couple of things on the new model (slanted f keys for example) until I put it next to my old MBP and realized that it's just the perfection of the whole machine that makes these little things stand out. Sitting side by side the new machine made the old one look old and busted.

3. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wifi and heat

Forgot to add that my second largest (and actually last) frustration with my old 1.83 MBP is the lousy wifi reception.
    Has never been good. Depending on the update, as others have pointed out, it has been better and worse but never good!

So my two main griefs with my old MBP are heat and wifi.
    Given that who would the last MBP (early 2008) and aluminum Macbook be with regards to these two issues?

Thanks again

4. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

I've got the MBP Classic 2.4 Ghz and if anything, it's too cold. Seriously, when I try and use it in the early morning, even if it's on for a while, it's too cold for my wrists!.

5. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Idk, they're just so ugly..

But yeah, the RAM I can understand, but speedwise you won't notice a huge difference.