Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coreycore02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Orlando, FL
ok so my father finally decided to upgrade his old G4 PowerMac (AGP) to OS X 10.4. purchased the install DVD for him and backuped all his info on a seperate HD. i installed OS X as per the intsructions, got everything working no problem. problem is, is i cant get a single program working in Classic. one of the main things he's still wanting to use and uses very often is Pro Tools and the version he has isnt OS X compatable. when i try to run the prgram is tries to start and then says that it cant find the Classic OS 9 system folder. Im really not familiar with how Classic works, so this is all like another language to me and i have no idea what im to do to get this all working. I have the original Restore CD that came with his G4, if this helps....

Can someone please fill me in on what and how to get this all working. sorry for the noob question, like i said im new to this Classic stuff.

Thanks in advance

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
You didn't erase the HD, right? As long as "/System Folder" is still there, Classic should work, assuming you point it at the correct startup.

System Preferences -> Classic -> Select your OS9 install. If you erased OS9, you should consider reinstalling it.

coreycore02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Orlando, FL
to my knowledge i didnt erase the HD and do a clean install... i did the basic install when i put in the OS X dvd thats all. If the system folder is still there somehow, how do i get it to be recognized by Classic, cuase Classic still wont open up any prog. secondly lets say its not there for whatever reason... can i put in the orig restore cd that came with the G4 and somehow add the classic system folder to OS X and if so how?

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
The reason it won't run in classic is because older OS 9 versions of Pro Tools aren't compatible with classic in OS X.

See digidesign's compatibility pages for info

"Pro Tools LE 5.3.2 does not work in OS X or "Classic Mode". You must choose Mac OS 9.2.2 as your Startup Disk."

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
coreycore02 said:
how do i get it to be recognized by Classic, cuase Classic still wont open up any prog.

Read. ;)

yellow said:
System Preferences -> Classic -> Select your OS9 install. If you erased OS9, you should consider reinstalling it.

coreycore02 said:
secondly lets say its not there for whatever reason... can i put in the orig restore cd that came with the G4 and somehow add the classic system folder to OS X and if so how?

Read. ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo said:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
VanNess said:
The reason it won't run in classic is because older OS 9 versions of Pro Tools aren't compatible with classic in OS X.

LOL. The original poster hasn't gotten that far yet, but that's good info to stop trying! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.