Upgrade from PowerMac G5 to an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ipodG8TR, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ipodG8TR macrumors member

I'm contemplating "upgrading" from my PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 GHz desktop to a 24" iMac C2D 2.4GHz.

I can't find any benchmarks to compare the two. Is it a worthwhile upgrade or should I wait a bit longer? I want to move to Intel while my current Mac still has good resale value, but the new MacPros are a little too much for what I need $$. The iMac is attractive because it includes bluetooth, iSight and other features the MacPro does not.

Also, the only negative for me about the new iMacs is the glossy screen. Any way to make a glossy screen matte that is guaranteed? Will Apple offer matte screens as an option?

Thanks

2. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if Apple will ever make a matte option for iMac but if you really like the matte screen, you can buy these thin stick on screen covers that make it look matte. It reduces glare but I like the glossy screens. My MBP has the 17" high res glossy and it looks absolutely stunning. It's a good switch. You may want to wait after macworld though...

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I did exactly what you did with same hardware.

I do notregret it. Any of your basic iLife functions, ripping, and burning the iMac wins hands down.

I got the 2.8 extreme iMac and all productivity apps are fine. Some of my science apps that use 2 processors are slower but honestky going from dual 2.0 G5 to a single Core 2 duo 2.8 did not hurt much. For example, to run a PCR analysis it took 12 minutes and 30 seconds now takes 12 minutes and 32 seconds. To derive a crysstalline structure it took 8 hours and some change, it still takes 8 hours but maybe 10 minutes longer. Also, these apps are running Rosetta on the iMac. Native will more than likely beat the G5.

For single processor tasks the iMac is far better.

I had dual 500 internal drives, now I have 1 internal 750. I also run external USB/FW drives, so that stayed the same.

My G5 was a dual 23 cinima set up. Now I have the 24 iMac and the external 23 cinema and sold the G5 with 1 display.

I am quite happy with this arrangement. I work in a somewhat adrk office, but I do not notice the glossy screen. But I am not super picky.

In my benchmarks, which I did not save the iMac beat the G5 in everything but disk speed IRC for sinle proc stuff. Running a univ test app.

4. irontony macrumors member

I upgraded from Powermac G5 Dual 1.8 to a iMac 2.4

Now putting aside the fact you have 1 internal HD and a fixed LCD screen
    the 2.4 iMac was 2x faster at encoding video and Photoshop was 3x faster for all of "my work"! Cant say it'll be the same for you but I can say it will be faster.

Good luck

5. andrewag macrumors 6502

I have a Power Mac G5 2x2GHz that has six months until the AppleCare is up. I'm in the same position. I am getting sick of how long it takes to encode to iTunes from divx etc so the time is about right, but I can't decide between the iMac 24" (Duo or Extreme????) or the low end PowerMac as I would love to keep my 20" ACD.

In the past I really couldn't see the value in upgrading to a 2GHz Mac Pro (previous gen) as the 2GHz had me caught up (I know they're different but you know how it gets!!).

+ for iMac
    Cheaper for display + computer
    Practical computing power for what i need
    Lower power use

+ for Mac Pro
    Already have display I like
    Expandable - more than one HD!!!

Dare I say it, I would LOVE a "mid range" Mac with a Core 2 Extreme processor.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

^^you realize you can use your display with your imac and have a dual display set up