Upgrade from Tiger 10.4.11 to SL, Coreduo MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carambo, Aug 29, 2009.

1. carambo macrumors member

Macbook pro 2006, Coreduo 2.16, 2G RAM, installed SL on Tiger 10.4.11 very smoothly, the auto-installer is great, 45 minutes, and my desk is exactly as I left it...Absolutely no problem !

Everthing seems to go faster. NO ISSUE AT ALL...
    I've got 6Go extra free space after installation (54go after, 48Go before)
    Well, so far it's a great OS...

I use mainly my mac for Music : Logic Pro 8 run successfully, only some few audiounits don't go through the validation, but no major recent release. Logic 8 runs smoothly : I load a song which use a lot of CPU and use to stop regularly, here with SL it goes till the end without any stop due to CPU load...

Reason 4 is running fine also. Deckadance also.
    Safari 4 is pretty fast.

2. kennel90 macrumors newbie

So you can upgrade your mac and it will leave everything untouched i.e applications, files etc. Would you recommend backing anything up before installing? Looking to upgrade my iMac 10.4.11 to Snow Leopard. Thanks

3. carambo thread starter macrumors member

I have just copied my key files and folders on my external HD (my documents folder, etc...) in case of, and this is strongly recommended for any OS upgrade, but after the installation, everything is EXACTLY as it was : location of icons, police, wallpaper, the same + the new Leopard functions : Time machine in the bar, the new dock aside of the screen, but everything is there !

4. kennel90 macrumors newbie

Thanks. One more thing. Will the settings for the apps be the same or will I have to adjust them for Snow Leopard.

5. carambo thread starter macrumors member

Well, it should be the same, the only point where I had to go back was my internet personal network ! I had to enter my password since it was seen as a unknown network. Once I entered my password, it is agains chossen by default and running smoothly.

6. rucc22 macrumors member

7. carambo thread starter macrumors member

Whatever pack will do the job, the 170$ box will include the Ilife suite, which is sold seperately at 80$ I think...

8. mornorthern macrumors newbie

Could anyone confirm that?

Thanks

9. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

It's already been confirmed on this forum and in other places.

10. Deezer macrumors newbie

Confirmation

hi guys,
    just a quick posting to say that the stand-alone option works absolutely fine on Tiger.

Just load up and click install and let the baby do the rest.

Managed to get 20gb back as well which is a right result.

:)

11. toddy23 macrumors newbie

Just before I click that "install" button...

Back up all done and looking forward to going from Tiger to SL.

Couple of questions before I start to upgrade my iMac:

1. did you just to do an "upgrade install" (i.e just pop disk in and click install) , or a "clean install"?

2. any problems (anyone knows of) with iphoto '06 (yes, its been that long!) and Snow Leopard - or should it be ok?

Thanks