Upgrade from Tiger on MacBook - more memory?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stedel, Oct 18, 2011.

1. stedel macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a MacBook running mac os x 10.4.11 with the following hardware specs

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB

I have just ordered Snow Leopard os x 10.6 to upgrade to.
    Should I get more RAM to run it? If yes, how much more?

Thanks

S

2. kolax macrumors G3

What do you do on your Mac?

2GB would be fine.

3. WinkyMacRumors macrumors newbie

Just upgrade to the max

Buy two sticks of 2 GB DDR2 SODIMM memory. It don't cost that much. About 60 or 70 US dollar in my country (Sweden).

//Winky

4. session101 macrumors regular

goto cruical website and look up what is your max, probally 4 GB and buy it, only about $30 or so

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Snow Leopard requires only 1GB of RAM, but 1.5GB to function to its true capacity. If your not going to be running more than one application at a time, and if you aren't running any real intensive stuff, 2GB would be pretty comfortable :)

6. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I believe you have the same MacBook model as me. You can get 4GB, but it can't utilize past 3GB, so it would be stupid to get 2x2 as oppose to 2x1. But anyway, running Snow Leopard with 2GB went very well. If you go with Lion you may want to consider upgrading.

7. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Not entirely true, there is a performance benefit from running matched modules. They will run in dual channel mode.

3GB from 2x2GB will be a tad faster than 3GB from 1GB+2GB

8. Lara F, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

Lara F macrumors 6502a

I have the same MacBook. 2GB was okay enough for Snow Leopard, but I do think you might as well go with the 4GB max. If you end up wanting to upgrade again (very likely should you move up to Lion in the future) you'll have two 1GB sticks that you paid for gone to waste. Not worth it for the minor price differential.

I've gotten some page outs even with 4GB under Lion, to put in perspective (but it's still much much better compared to before I upgraded). If it actually used all 4 GB instead of 3 those would probably be completely eliminated...oh well.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ah. Maybe I should do that then. I wonder if the performance increase from running at dual-channel memory would be worth the change from 2x1 to 2x2.

10. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Friend, Im running a macbook with 4gb and snow leopard, I recently upgraded from 2gb. I got an insane speed increase. If the OS knows you have more memory, its gonna use it for good things! I usually use 3Gb on my day to day work, altough it comes close to 4GB when I leave vuze and imovie doing work in the background.

To conclude, since you already have to open the case and go over the trouble of swapping memory, get your system max capacity. If Im not mistaken, its 8GB. If its only 4GB, than get 4GB. Check this website:

www.macsales.com

they identify the memory you need, your system maximum capacity and ship worldwide. Its the best place for mac memory. Memory is very cheap now, so do this correctly once, and you are set for life.

11. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Get as much as you are comfortable spending. 2 GB is good. 4 GB is better.

I've gotten my RAM from  crucial.com with no issues. You can select your Mac on a list to find the right RAM.

*fixed link

12. iParis, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Haha, you make me laugh. You are obviously very misinformed with your statements. If your MacBook can utilize past 3GB with 4GB installed, it is a much newer system than compared to the one the OP was asking about. No MacBook released before they had the Santa Rosa Intel line (November '07) can utilize past 3GB, even if it's 2x2.

13. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I did not say we shared the same model. I was just pointing to the fact that he should get as much as possible GB of memory...and I pointed to a website where the OP could check the right memory for him/her

BTW, crucial is also great like mentioned above, they also have a tool for that.