upgrade from tiger to leapord question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rmal, Aug 1, 2008.

1. rmal macrumors newbie

if i do a fresh install of Leapord (upgrading from Tiger) on my iMac, will I have to reinstall all other software?

i should mention i need to do a fresh install because I don't have the computer's password.

thanks.

2. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Yes you will have to reinstall all of your programs, you may try installing Leopard over Tiger and they might ask for you to make a new password. But its always to start fresh with a new OS. Good luck and enjoy leopard!

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You would need to, the sort of reinstall you're talking about completely erases the computer's hard drive (OS, apps and all) and puts a new copy of the OS on there instead.

Make sure you have stuff like photos and music backed up too, as the reinstall would wipe these too.

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Actually it may not hurt to try to install over it to try. I am assuming you have everything you want backed up if you are considering a fresh install. YOu can try installing over it and if they ask for a new password you are good to go, but if it doesn't help you know you can just do a fresh install.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't understand how people keep coming into possession of computers and they don't know the password. Why can't you ask the person you got it from?

6. Ozz.Man macrumors member

You can reset the password if you have a Leopard disk. Boot from the disk and use the password reset tool.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yep, use the OS CD to reset the password to something else :) Then upgrade as normal.

8. rmal thread starter macrumors newbie

why people don't have passwords

In my case, x-pc people, simple don't understand the importance of the passwords in mac world.

I have bought several used pc's for my kids, and if there are passwords they are not important to upgrade and for cleaning out things. Many used pc's don't come with re-boot and software disks but it's no big deal.

For mac's I have learned the disks and passwords are very important, but I've learned the hard way. Given the lack of this specific info in the pc world, and the conversion rate of pc'ers to macs, I would bet these types of posts will increase.