Upgrade G3 ibook memory

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TelevatorsEsp, Nov 16, 2007.

1. TelevatorsEsp macrumors newbie

I own a 900 MHz G3 ibook (v2.3) with 256 MB of ram running 10.2.8. It's been good to me, but over the years it's performance has started to decrease. Most applications load up and run fine, but web browsers can become a little slow when I have multiple windows or tabs open. What should I do to get rid of this problem? Upgrade the memory to 640MB of ram? Update the OS to 10.4?

2. liveexpo macrumors member

Yeah, I have the exact same model. Came with 256mb, but upgraded a year or so ago to 640mb - runs Tiger 10.4.11 pretty well. Also, if you can back all your stuff up to an ext. then do a total wipe of the HDD, you should find some performance improvement.

3. liveexpo macrumors member

4. Surely Guest

Surely

iBook G3 won't recognize my new RAM

Here's a problem that I am having. Maybe someone can lend some insight?

I have an old iBook G3 700 Mhz with 384 MB RAM. I've decided to give it to my sister as a gift so she'll stop hogging my mothers iBook G4 :)

I cleaned it up, and bought a new 512 MB piece of Micron RAM (PC133 SDRAM SODIMM 144 pin) to upgrade the memory. I installed the RAM, but when I turn the iBook on, it doesn't recognize the RAM. In System Profiler, it shows that the slot is 'EMPTY' and that there is only 128MB of RAM.

I tried removing and reinstalling, but no luck. I reinstalled the old 256MB piece, and it was recognized. So there isn't anything wrong with the slot itself.

Is it a dead piece of RAM? Is there anything else I can do?

My opinion is that it's dead RAM, but I thought I'd post the question on these forums for some confirmation. I usually find answers here....
    I appreciate any help anyone can give.
    Thanks!

TelevatorsEsp:
    Do the upgrades- it should run better. The iBook G3 700 Mhz I have runs pretty well with 384MB RAM and 10.4. Yours has a faster processor, so it should run bettter than mine.