upgrade G4 to MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c0smokram3r, Jun 18, 2008.

1. c0smokram3r macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm new here & I was thinking would this be possible. I have an older PowerBook G4 that I would like to upgrade to MBP specifications. I've never messed around inside of a Mac but I have in a PC. What all would need to be upgraded to run Leapord efficiently? Could I still do it with the old G4 logic board? <<---Probably my biggest concern b/c of the price haha. So far, this is the list I have:
    RAM http://eshop.macsales.com/item/TechWorks/126830001/
    ^^^Would that be compatible w/ the G4's Logic Board?

---------
    Processor

[Do you guys think you could find me a link with a good price to one that would be compatible?]

---------

anything else?

Thanks in advance...

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Notebooks procs are soldered on the MB not socketed, and thus not upgradeable. Even if that weren't the case you couldn't replace a PPC with an Intel proc on the same motherboard.
    In short, you can update the RAM and HD on the G4 laptop, but that's as far as your upgrades can go.
    Can't comment on the compatibility of the RAM you chose, as you didn't mention exactly which Powerbook you have.

3. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

That RAM would not be compatible with the G4. You need something like this for the G4. The RAM you linked to is for Intel Macs.

To run Leopard well on the PowerBook, just max out on RAM. As for the processor, I don't think it can be upgraded on a PowerBook. Same for the logic board.

If you want to upgrade to something faster, I recommend jumping onto the Intel bandwagon. Try selling the PowerBook on eBay or something and then going for a refurb. MacBook. You'll notice a big difference, even with the MacBook.