Upgrade @gmail.com account to Google Apps for push?

Nerdface Killah

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2013
Is it possible to upgrade a @gmail.com account to a Google Apps for Business account so that I can still have push when using the native mail app in iOS?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Is it possible to upgrade a @gmail.com account to a Google Apps for Business account so that I can still have push when using the native mail app in iOS?
You can register a domain name. $8-12/yr
Forward your old @gmail account to your @domainname.

BrianBaughn

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm a proponent of controlling ones own email address. If you purchase a domain name you can own it for life (or the end of the internet, whichever comes first) and decide who will host your email. I did it way back when @home became @comcast.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I'm a proponent of controlling ones own email address. If you purchase a domain name you can own it for life (or the end of the internet, whichever comes first) and decide who will host your email. I did it way back when @home became @comcast.
Same. I did it way back, when my school pulled my .edu :(

Hosted on a friend's colo for awhile.
Then hosted on another friend's colo, while forwarding and sending from @me.com account.
When Apple pulled that ability, ported into free Google Apps.

I already have an Outlook.com setup, some of the DNS configured, just not fully configured yet. It'll likely be my next stop when I stop being lazy. Probably be a next holidays type thing, since have a couple family members I will need to migrate.