upgrade graphic card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skjoldp, Jun 4, 2012.

1. skjoldp macrumors newbie

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No. Apple portables have the graphics hardware soldered onto the main motherboard. You cannot change them at all.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

With laptops you sacrifice upgradability for portability and to that end, the GPU is not upgradeable. You can only upgrade the ram and storage on MacBook Pros

5. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

The only way you would technically be able to upgrade your GPU, would be by replacing the entire logic board with a newer one, which has the CPU and GPU soldered onto it. Not to mention the fact that the boards may not even fit from a newer one.

Look into selling your computer and upgrading to a newer one. I have seen plenty refurb early 11' 15" high end on Amazon Warehouse go for $1100-1200.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Hi, I'm just replying to give you the same information that each poster above me gave, but in a slightly differently worded way :p

No, you can't upgrade the GPU in a Macbook Pro.
    The GPUs in all laptops are soldered onto the motherboard.

7. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

haha thanks. i was under the impression that you could melt solder since that's how you apply it in the first place, but it doesn't seem that way.

8. royal shrimp macrumors member

Actually, yes you can. macbooks have non-replaceable cards, but lots of other laptops(alien ware comes to mind) have MXM slots. these are slandered for laptops and if the thermal capacity lets it, you can switch cards. best example is people upgrading from 6970m to 7970m. all they do is take off bottom, heat-sink and replace the card. :)