upgrade hard drive on mac book pro + upgrade OS X keeping apps and files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fulhamn, Jun 24, 2009.

1. fulhamn macrumors newbie

Hi all

Please can you help with this.

I have just purchased the new OS X 10.5.4 operating system and wish to upgrade to this. Before I upgrade the operating system I want to upgrade to a bigger and faster hard drive. I currently have a 100 GB 5200 hard drive. I wish to upgrade to a 300 GB 7200 RPM hard drive.

What I need help is copying all my apps and files over to the new hard drive and to install the new OS X operating system. Shall I just upgrade the OS X on to my current 100 GB hard drive, then create a clone/ boot disk so then when I install my new hard drive I create the clone on to the new hard drive.

What is the best option for me as I want to upgrade my hard drive and upgrade my OS X, without installing my apps and files again.

If you can help that would be great.

Thanks

Will

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes. Install the upgrade on your current drive and run Software Update a few times. Buy an external enclosure, put the new drive in there, and clone your drive on there using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then you can swap out the drives and you have your old drive running as an external.