Upgrade - Hard drive recommendations?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thestaton, Apr 18, 2007.

1. thestaton macrumors 6502

Did some price checking today, and was curious what other people are recommending?

I would like to get a 120 or 160 that compares to the stocker, when it comes to heat, etc.

Thanks for the help.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

3. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

i dont wanna be rude but i think this thread is in the AppleTV thread(i hardly check them besides right now) so im guessing it isn't for a mac..

4. ogee macrumors 6502

I have upgraded mine to Samsung 160GB. I had a few small problems in that my external HD case only supported drives upto 120GB. So I got a USB to IDE cable and tried again with not further hardware problems.

I had a set of instructions for doing the HD clone from engadget, which would not work for some reason, a problem a lot of people had, but buried in the comments was a link to a wiki ( at appleTVhacks or something?) which worked first time.

5. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I don't recommend upgrading. Streaming is way better. Why put a new HD in when you already have an HD in your mac(s)/pc(s) with all your content that can stream to your :apple:tv? The whole point of the :apple:tv is the streaming. The HD acts as a buffer.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I thought the problem with that was that some things don't stream. Definitely photos, maybe music too.

7. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

What? I upgraded to a 160gb Hitachi and synced all my data, that way I can leave my mac off and still have access to everything!

Think Green People!

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

LOL, serves me right for not looking at which forum I was in. :eek:

I've had good luck with Hitachi myself, but I'm not sure about which drives are hotter - I always assumed that, given the same drive technology, bigger and faster spinning drives produced more heat.

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Ok... But I don't know anyone who has over 32GB of photos... Music streams perfectly, FYI:)

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Looks to be ATA-6. Segate, WD, Hitachi should all work.

11. ogee macrumors 6502

I disagree.

Streaming doesnt work well for me. I get a lot of network stalls and network performance problems when streaming.

I have all my music and videos that I have not watched on the ATV and it works best from the local HD for me.

12. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Hi, Im Kevin ...... Now you know someone who has 70Gbs +

:D

Kevin :apple:

13. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Also, supposively the ATV doesn't play files that are over 4gbs? I have plenty of files that are HD encodes that are over 8 or 9 gigs. This would easily be another reason to upgrade...