Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana
Hi. I currently have a 17' iMac (white) with a 160gb internal sata. I would like to upgrade to a 250gb sata. Is there any way to clone the drive I have now over to the new drive and keep the operating system, files, and apps the same? Currently running 10.6. Thanks :apple:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You need something like this:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0280775

I'm going to assume you have a Snow Leopard DVD. If not, write back and we'll tackle that separately. For now, though...

0) Write down what OS version you're using 10.6.what?

1) Replace the hard drive drive.

2) Restart with the OS DVD in the computer. When it launches the disk search the menus for 'Disk Utility' and erase the new hard drive with 'HFS+ Journaled' as the setting.

3) Install the OS on the new hard drive using the DVD.

4) Upgrade it to whatever OS version your old drive is using the internet. You know, 10.6.x - Whatever it was.

5) Plug the old drive into the dock and connect it to the Mac with USB.

6) Search spotlight for 'Migration Assistant' and follow the directions.

That's it!

Notes:

- If you don't have a snow leopard DVD, tell us what you do have and we'll figure something out.

- You can get a 1 TB drive for only $80 these days. Why not go for it? It takes a bit of work to open up an iMac, I'd hate for you to have to do it again next year if you run out of space again.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0392471

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
Hi. I currently have a 17' iMac (white) with a 160gb internal sata. I would like to upgrade to a 250gb sata. Is there any way to clone the drive I have now over to the new drive and keep the operating system, files, and apps the same? Currently running 10.6. Thanks :apple:

go to macupdate.com search for carbon copy cloner {c.c.c.} i think they still have the free download version there. Put new drive in external dock etc, format using disc utility to mac hfs extended- use c.c.c. to clone system to new drive. replace boot and run:-

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
go to macupdate.com search for carbon copy cloner {c.c.c.} i think they still have the free download version there. Put new drive in external dock etc, format using disc utility to mac hfs extended- use c.c.c. to clone system to new drive. replace boot and run:-

You honestly don't even need CCC if this is a rare occasion of cloning the drive. Unless of course it's going to be a frequent backup and cloning. Otherwise, I would just use disk utility to do it. Restore the drive using the current one and everything is done without the need for downloading another application.

Last edited:

froggytreafrogg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2008
Louisiana

I'm going to assume you have a Snow Leopard DVD. If not, write back and we'll tackle that separately. For now, though...

2) Restart with the OS DVD in the computer. When it launches the disk search the menus for 'Disk Utility' and erase the new hard drive with 'HFS+ Journaled' as the setting.

4) Upgrade it to whatever OS version your old drive is using the internet. You know, 10.6.x - Whatever it was.

That's it!

Notes:

- If you don't have a snow leopard DVD, tell us what you do have and we'll figure something out.

- You can get a 1 TB drive for only $80 these days. Why not go for it? It takes a bit of work to open up an iMac, I'd hate for you to have to do it again next year if you run out of space again.

10.6.3. Do i need this external dock thing? Thanks for reply too.

----------

That's it!

Notes:

to be more clear about needing the dock. I have a sata-to-usb adapter with the external power supply and everything. Will this work too? thanks again.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
to be more clear about needing the dock. I have a sata-to-usb adapter with the external power supply and everything. Will this work too? thanks again.

Sounds like it's the same thing, just in a smaller form.

All you need is the ability to load that external drive onto the computer so that both drives are running and attached at the same time. From what you're saying, that's what it sounds like you have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.