Upgrade Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nyzwerewolf, Sep 28, 2008.

1. nyzwerewolf macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

I have a 15 inch MacBook Pro. Currently I have a 160GB HDD that came with the laptop. I want to know if i buy a HDD that is 3.0Gbps - would it work?

this is the SATA controller info:

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:
    Vendor: Intel
    Product: ICH8-M AHCI
    Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

I don't know if it says 1.5Gbps bc the HDD that i have now could be 1.5Gbps...

any idea?

so basically, i want to know if i get a 3.0Gbps HDD will i get the 3.0Gbps throughput or it will run at 1.5Gbps?

thanks guys!!

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

The connector on the MBP is 1.5 Gbps, it will work with a 3 Gbps hard drive but the hard drive will not operate at the full 3 Gbps (not that the hard drive ever really uses so much as to make 1.5 Gbps seem painfully slow).

3. nyzwerewolf thread starter macrumors regular

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

5. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

6. JWest macrumors 6502

I'm looking to upgrade the 5,400 RPM 250GB drive in my penryn MBP, but I'm pretty nervous about opening my still fairly new computer (just got it in june). How do I go about transferring the data from the old drive to the new? I've also got a windows partition, and I don't want to lose that data.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's backwards compatible, so all SATA drives will work.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not a complicated process

1. buy an enclosure with your new drive
    2 put the new drive in the enclosure
    3 download either carbon copy cloner or superduper ( these are progs that allow cloning of OS's )
    4 format new drive ( GUID partition table & hfs+ format)
    5 clone over OS X to new drive
    6 boot from new drive ( this is to make sure things are OK )
    7 swap the drives

Guides for taking your MBP apart & installing the drive can be found at ifixit.com

oh and for cloning a windows partition you'll need winclone ( provided its NTFS if not you will need to reformat it )

9. JWest macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info! I'm still a bit too nervous to take this thing apart, I don't want anything to go wrong :p

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Don't be a p*ssy it aint that hard,just take your time & follow the instructions given ;)

11. JWest macrumors 6502

Heh, well I have done various component replacements on smaller electronics (new batteries and displays in iPods, new speakers in my PSP, etc.), so I've got the skill to do it. It's just that macbook pro's are rather expensive, and I've got to think hard about this before putting money down on a new drive and doing the job.

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you can do what you mentioned then replacing a drive should be a stroll in the park, honestly its a breeze, undo a few screws unclip a ribbon unplug the old drive plug in new drive reclip ribbon put back screws job done, 1/2 hr to hr tops

13. JWest macrumors 6502

14. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Are now you have hit on a debatable subject, my take on it is, yes it will if you screw something up in the process of replacing the drive & have to take it in because of it,but its a simple job to swap back to the original drive then take it in

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unofficially if you ask any AppleCare representative, Genius, store manager, or supervisor, they will say no it will not void your warranty; just don't expect to get it on paper from Apple.

Everyone will say if you accidentally damage your computer during the upgrade it will void your warranty, but remember if you accidentally damage your computer USING it, it will void the warranty too!

So…

Unofficially NO.