Upgrade Hardrive on rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric8199, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Are people working on aftermarket hard drives for the rMBP like what is available for the Airs? I ask because right now the hard drive on the rMBP is JUST enough for me, but I don't want to have to buy a whole new computer in two years because I need a bigger hard drive. I also don't want to spend the extra $600 to upgrade to the 512gb hard drive, because Apple doesn't offer just a hard drive upgrade on the base model.

Trying to decide which machine is right for me, and I don't want to have to connect external drives all the time.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you really need the extra space, I'd upgrade it now, since there are no guarantees if and when any upgrade SSDs will be available, or at what price.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

OWC has said that they will make them, but they will probably be pretty expensive. There's also the possibility of being able to find Apple OEM drives on ebay or through resellers eventually.

4. Slivortal macrumors 6502

The 2.6 GHz upgrade is really all about the 256GB of extra storage space. The gains on 2.6 vs 2.3 are minimal, and knowing this, Apple attached the upgrade to the 512GB upgrade.

While after-market solutions are currently in development, they look to be about $600-700 on their own. If you want 512GB, get it and don't look back.