Upgrade Hardware vs Buying New

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rev0l2ti0n, May 27, 2018.

1. Rev0l2ti0n macrumors newbie

Rev0l2ti0n

Retina MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Memory: 16 GB

Storage: 256 GB

Is it worthwhile to buy a maxed out 2016 MacBook Pro w/1TB storage (at greater expense) rather than taking my current MacBook, getting a new battery and replacing the storage with a 1TB Aura Pro X SSD?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you use the laptop for? It may make sense to upgrade your 2013 model. If you go the upgrade route, what is your estimate on extending the lifespan of the computer and is that worth upgrading vs. buying new?

Is your laptop's performance satisfactory right now? If yes, replacing the battery and buying a 1TB SSD may make sense. If it were me, I'd probably just get an external SSD, rather then internal

3. Rev0l2ti0n thread starter macrumors newbie

Rev0l2ti0n

Nothing overly intensive, truth be told. I've got a desktop computer with a GTX 1080 and i5-6600k for anything and everything intensive. The MacBook is just for mobile media consumption and productivity.

Thanks for your input, upon considering it I'll go the upgrade route. Performance is still phenomenal for a computer that's rounding a half-decade old. The new battery will breathe new life into its capabilities as a portable device. Similarly, I'll invest in that new SSD but cut down on the storage amount to reduce cost. Fundamentally I'm just doing the SSD switch as a means to improve read-write performance. Hell, I could probably eke out another half-decade from this device if I were so inclined.