Upgrade HD - WD Caviar Blue vs Black?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by definitive, Nov 10, 2011.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I've noticed on Western Digital's website that they have released new versions of Caviar Blue and Black SATA6 hard drives. My current iMac is using a Blue SATA3. I'm planning on getting a bigger size drive (1-2tb), and would like to get some input on which would be a better upgrade.

On paper, both Black and Blue produce the same amount of noise and use same amount of power, but a bit less than the older SATA3 version. My main concern is noise and heat, so I'm wondering if the faster Black drive would be a good upgrade, or if I should stick with same, but updated Blue that I have now. My system doesn't support SATA6, so I know that I won't utilize full speeds, but would like to know which of the two would be a better purchase while at the same time keeping the two concerns I mentioned at a minimal.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Get the Black as an upgrade if you want and if it is your boot drive. You get absolutely no benefit from a SATA3 6Gb link as your HD can't do anything over 120MB/s SATA2 does 280MB/s. You don't use 50% of SATA2 3Gb yet. If you get an SSD it would make a difference.
    If WD has greater platter density on the upgrades or more cache or processors then you'll see a speed benefit but maybe 10%. There are just no HDD's that can fully saturate SATA2 3Gb/s.