Upgrade HDD in 2006 CD MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by davidg4781, May 13, 2011.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I'm looking to upgrade my HDD in my 2006 CD MacBook.

I'm looking at either Seagate or Western Digital. Anything I should stay away from?

I've heard 7200rpm is faster, but uses more battery than 5400rpm, but some posts say it doesn't. Has there been any definitive answer to this?

And last question, what's the largest drive my MacBook will support. I currently have a 250 GB but it's getting pretty full.

I was waiting on Lion to come out, but it doesn't look like it will support Core Duo so I'm just going to do it now.

Also, SMART Utility is saying my drive is failing.

2. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

And looking around WD's site, at least one page isn't formatting correctly in Safari. Not a big issue to compare to storage drives, but maybe it's a sign?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

WD makes good drives, I have a 320GB 7200 RPM drive that works great, and doesn't eat up more battery. You can put up to a 750GB model in yours, 5400 or 7200 RPM.

4. kgolino macrumors newbie

upgrading HDD in 2006 MacBook

Well I just bought a 250GB WD HD for my 2006 MacBook, but for some reason my mac does not recognize the new HD when i am trying to reformat it with my boot up disc. If you look at the HD that your macbook came with, its either a toshiba or a hitachi.

5. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

The one that originally came with mine is gone, loaned it to a friend and that friend isn't really around anymore.

I'm using a Seagate right now, and haven't had any issues in the past 4 years or so.

6. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Personally, I'd go for a Seagate. I have Seagates in all of the machines that I've redone myself, and I have yet to have an issue with them. Their quality has really shot up from the early part of last decade.

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

I was planning to, but reading the reviews on newegg and amazon, there seem to be a lot of failure in their recent drives. Although it's a small sample and all, it's still a little alarming as I'd hate to have to deal with having to do the warranty replacement stuff.