Upgrade HDD in iMac 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shortfuse01, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Shortfuse01 macrumors newbie

Shortfuse01

I am about to replace my 500GB HDD with a 2T HDD. In reviewing any possible problems I might in counter, I have seen where in 2011 there was an issue with the HDD fan control software. Some individuals used a third party software to control the fan but that lead to the machine not passing the AHT used by apple. My unit is not under warranty therefore can't see taking it to them at this point anyway.

My question - Has this issue been fixed, with the numerous upgrades of the OS since 2011? I am now running OS X Yosemite 10.10.4. If not fixed through the OS would it be a non-issue since I cloned my HDD instead of just reinstalling the OS from the application disks? If the cloning does not add the needed firmware are there trustworthy third party software out there that will control my HDD fan?

2. visusest macrumors newbie

All of the iMacs from 2009 to 2011 used hard drives with custom firmware/connectors for temperature sensing. Replacing the HDD with a new one without this "feature" will cause your HDD fan to spin at full speed. The only way to get the HDD to operate as "stock" is to use a temperature sensor from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIDIMACHDD11/). Macs Fan Control or smcFanControl are your best options if you don't want to use the OWC temperature sensor.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Visusest is exactly right, purchase the OWC cable which is really the correct solution. In addition, consider adding a SSD while you have the computer open. Use the SSD as your boot drive and the 2TB for additional storage. This will upgrade the performance of the computer too.

OWC provides videos on how to do these installations in their Tech Support link.

4. Shortfuse01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Shortfuse01

Thank you both for your help and advice! Going to take the plunge as soon as the OWC cable arrives. I picked up the SSD to add as well. Thanks again for your help and advise.