Upgrade HDD in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Link00seven, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Link00seven macrumors regular

I have a 15" Macbook Pro (Santa Rosa 2.4 GHz model) that I'd like to upgrade from a 160GM 5400 RPM drive to some type of 7200RPM drive. I was recommended the WD Black Scorpio Drive (listed here on newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...80&cm_re=black_scorpio-_-22-136-280-_-Product)

Do you guys know if this would be a good drive? Is it something I could do myself without voiding the warranty? If not, anyone on here live in Metro Detroit that could recommend a place?

Thanks for your help.

2. twitchgreen macrumors newbie

Shouldn't be any problems with that upgrade. I did that on mine (same model of computer) with success.

Not too hard. there are tons of videos & manuals online. They can't deny your warranty for upgrading the drive. I would pop the old drive back in for any warranty service just to make things go smoother.

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

They can, and will. It says multiple times in the AppleCare agreement that the Santa Rosa MBP's HDD wasn't intended to be a user serviceable part, you will void warranty by replacing it. There aren't any indicators to tell if the case has been opened, so make sure the stock drive is in the machine if you have them work on it.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If they can tell the tape holding the hard drive sensor down is loose, they can probably guess that you've replaced the drive.

May want to wait until the applecare is up before you try it, just to be safe. Or have an apple authorized 3rd party repair shop install it for you and keep the receipt.:cool:

5. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

I would shop around first, a local shop charged my friend $100 to change his.

6. 41qser macrumors regular

There was a Hitchi in mine.

I replaced it with a 7200rpm 320gb Hitachi.

This is the fourth drive I've replaced in various Macbook Pros. Apple's Firewire Target Disk Mode makes it a painless procedure.

7. Link00seven thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses so far. I looked up how to do it and it doesn't look THAT painful but my AppleCare is good until March 2011...and I'd rather not wait until then to do it. I'll have to consider the options of both getting it done by an authorized 3rd party apple dealer or doing it myself and keeping the old drive around just in case I need service later on.

8. aneks macrumors regular

I did this on my system but I only had about 6mnths of apple care left. Was fast and painless, just make sure you have the right screwdrivers.

now running a 500gb 5400rpm drive in a model that only had a 120gb spec as a maximum. Happy days.

9. euphuistical macrumors member

Will the apple store install a new HD for you if you're still under applecare?

I am getting a new/refurbished 15" 2.8 uMBP w/ anti-glare and the only thing that wasn't to my exact liking was the 5400rpm HD, and I'd like to upgrade it to a 7200rpm one, and while I am confident I could do it (I've upgraded a lot of stuff on PC desktops, but have never messed with a laptop, and this is my first mac), I've heard of people messing up the connection to the logic board, and I'd die if I did that.

10. Shagrat macrumors 6502a

Shagrat

I see your point, but why don't Apple include a warning that this would void the warranty, on the page where they give explicit instructions on how to change your hard drive?

Doubt that they will quibble, unless one makes a real dogs dinner of the upgrade.