Upgrade HDD or RAM (gaming)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catroa, Nov 7, 2010.

1. catroa macrumors newbie

Hey, I have a new 2010 MBP 13". I'm running StarCraft 2 on it, but want to increase the performance of the game. Should I upgrade to 8GB of RAM or a better harddrive. Thanks

2. kgallag1 macrumors member

gaming performance

It depends on how much RAM you have. If you already have 4 gigs of RAM, going to 8 won't make any difference to gaming performance. upgrading the hard drive wont' really help either except that an SSD or faster hard drive will make load times faster.

What kind of Mac do you have?

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You would see faster load times with a faster HDD, but not much else, and I really doubt you would see any difference at all upgrading RAM, as most games don't come anywhere close to using your full capacity.

4. applepearpp macrumors regular

you won't see much difference even if you add both in. the physics depends on CPU processing speed and the lighting/details depends on graphic card.

5. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

your stuck with integrated graphics, so theres not much you can do

6. bossxii macrumors 68000

This is why Macs are not gaming rigs. You can add all the ram and the fastest SSD hard drive, the bottleneck is video cards with shared memory and throttled mobile chipsets.

7. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

exactly.

For about $400 to $600, more on the $600 side, depending on a few features you could build a windows gaming rig that could far far exceed your mbp in terms of its gaming prowess.

8. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

That's one hell of a gaming rig you have! I must say. What's the max resolution you can play with that setup?

9. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

I run at 1920x1200, simply because thats as high as my monitor will go. I get good enough frame rates that i can run everything including battlefield bad company 2 at full settings, minus anti-aliasing. I really like it. I never buy the top of the line card, i always buy the bottom end of the top of the line cards. lol. Best bang for the buck, and for the price of a 5970 i can buy another card in 2 years or so. lol

10. gurm42 macrumors newbie

What nobody is telling you is that the poor performance of Starcraft II is because the Mac version of the game SUCKS OUT LOUD, and there's not much you can do about it. The only way to play the game with acceptable speed is to boot into BootCamp and play it from there, or build a Windows gaming machine...

Sorry to burst the bubble. Blizzard is "working on it" but has yet to address the horribleness.

11. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

haha nice you have the same rig as me cept for gpu. Its possible that ram could help if you run a ton of things at once. One of the other threads he ran into the limit of his ram because he ran a ton of programs while playing sc. The 13" isn't the best choice for gaming uncomfortably.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I play on OS X fine at high settings...

13. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

You also have an i7 and a dedicated GPU.

Far from the C2D-Integrated combination of the 13".

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Going into Windows still uses the dedicated graphics card...if you would have read what I quoted...