Upgrade help from 2g to 3gs, swap sim and keep data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dunkshade, Jul 16, 2009.

1. dunkshade macrumors newbie

Ok, I did search the forums however I don't see anything quite like my situation and I wanted to confirm before doing.

I basically followed this post: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8050698&postcount=21

I currently have the 2g with NOcontract using att on the $20 plan. I read the process for sim swap to keep my $20 data plan on 3GS, but have a couple questions.

1. When I buy the phone, I assume I can buy online and get the discounted phone price?

2. I read that this may work better for 3g -> 3gs swap since they are more similar? I know it works for 2g -> 3gs, but do you think they will eventually switch my plan over since I'm on 2g data plan?

3. I don't quite understand the IMEI process. Do I just call customer service and get it switched AND have to unlock my phone?? OR do I just need to call them and switch IMEI and that's all?

Thanks guys! There is currently a $50 off when buying online, so I wanted to buy online instead of go to store.

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

The system will see the IMEI when your phone pings the tower and they will change your rate plan to $30 a month.

Not to mention when you activate the phone, it will change the plan.

3. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

So this upgrade hack has been confirmed not to work? Has other 2g->3gs users been auto switched to the new plan?

That hack only works if going from 3g->3gs?

4. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

5. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

6. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

Can someone please let me know? I already know Att KNOWS that I have 3gs, but the question is will they actually do anything about it?

Plus the questions I posted on post #1

7. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not trying to post too much, I just don't want to go to far down the list :)

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

If you bought the phone from ATT or Apple, your plan will not work, they know you have the phone and have changed your plan accordingly. If you got the phone though other means, then I guess it's worth a shot but I would suspect sooner or later they will realize what you've done...

9. The General macrumors 601

10. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that's what I thought.......UNTIL i came across this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8050698

That's a recent thread. I'm talking specifically about the sim swap you do. Has anyone actually gotten forced to switch over using this method / hack??

11. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I'm using the iPhone Data+200 texts for $20 a month on my 3GS, have been using it since the first day (June 19th). I haven't been changed, ever.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

If you are so concerned with saving $15/month I would suggest the iphone probably is not for you.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

No they will not charge you extra. When I got my iPhone 3GS, i activated it on June 19th. I stopped and got a sim at the Apple store and put it in my 2G iPhone. I activated the 2G in iTunes using my 3GS phone number and delected the 450 minutes + 200 SMS included plan. I've had that plan since June 19 and I've been using it with my 3GS phone since then. No warning SMS from AT&T and my bill from AT&T is $90 and that includes the $18 activation charges for the 3GS. My bill shows I am being charged for the 2G 450 + 200 SMS plan.

14. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

So since I'm buying mine online, I would 1st activate my 3gs through itunes when I receive my phone, THEN put the 3gs sim into my 2g and activate through itunes. Then put switch my 3gs sim BACK into my 3gs and all is good. THEN, call and switch IMEI?

15. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

lol...yea, who in their right mind would ever want to do that?

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Seriously? :rolleyes:

It is $30 a month to use 3G. $20 a month to use EDGE. If you can't afford it than don't do it. It's not a hidden fee and it's written in plain English.

On a side note: If you spent all this time working or even auctioning off items you don't use anymore instead of bumping a pointless thread about how to steal from AT&T then I'm sure you could afford the data plan and maybe more.

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

No. Get a new sim at AT&T and place that sim in your 2G phone. Open iTunes and follow through on activating the 2G but use your current 3GS phone number (make sure the 3GS is activated first). Complete the activation and then place the sim from the 2G phone into the 3GS phone and that is all. No need to call AT&T for any reason after this.

18. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much!! I will try it and post feedback. Of course I have to wait for phone from online order blah...

19. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously you don't feel like ATT is stealing from you for upping prices? Hmm ok... Don't worry about what I do and don't do or how I spend my time lol. There will always be people wanting something for a cheaper price (especially when they're being price gauged and contracted up the bum)...If you don't like it, go somewhere else...Perhaps to a 'love att / apple' type thread :apple:

20. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Let us know how it went. I would be interested to hear if you get 3G service or just Edge.

21. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You get 3G service no matter what since it is a 3G phone. It is the phone that determines that you get 3G service or not, not the plan.

AT&T simply charges more for the 3G plan because they can.

22. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

It might be that the differential is 'justified' on the basis that the original plan was for the unsubsidized 2G iPhone, and that charging more for 3G and 3GS devices is simply a means of recouping the subsidy for these phones.

Not that I think many would argue that AT&T is running short of money! But still, doesn't the current data plan cost for the 3G/3GS now match the data plan cost of other smartphones?

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

No. You opened yourself up to this by starting a thread about how to cheat AT&T out of $15/month by deliberately ignoring the terms of the contract you signed. If you don't like hearing that then either don't do it or don't start open threads on the internet about it.

24. dunkshade thread starter macrumors newbie

We know who works for att now... Either that, or you forgot your meds this morning sheesh lol

25. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

Your statement makes no sense. I am on the iphone 3g without data plan for 8 months now. I dont need the data plan, thus paying for it would be a waste.