Upgrade help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pr0udg33k, May 17, 2011.

1. pr0udg33k macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumor-ers,

Let me start off by saying, I have a late 2008 era Unibody Macbook.

Now, a little backstory. I am in the process of expanding my burgeoning photography business and my basic Macbook is beginning to seriously sag under the weight of doing more serious editing in photoshop, and having to keep more and more photos on my computer (vs. external hardrive). For this reason I decided to take the DIY step and upgrade my RAM and hardrive. The hardrive is no problem, I have that picked out and everything is set there. However, the RAM is not being quite as cooperative.

I want to get the most RAM possible but have read several conflicting reports online and from different people saying either that this Macbook can or cannot support 8gb of RAM. Apple officially says that it only supports 4gb, but other people say that 8gb is supported. Anyway, I was hoping someone could maybe share their own success or failure stories in this department. Or someone that can say completely 100% positivly that I can or cannot put 8gb or RAM into this specific computer. I want to pull the most power I can out of my machine before completely upgrading. (Financially pinched artist wanting to avoid the craziness of completely buying a NEW Mac).

Thank you guys so much!

2. simsaladimbamba