Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edward-k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
I currently have a 2007 iMac (2.8 Core 2 Duo, 500GB HD, ATI HD2600 256Mb graphics). I am ready to upgrade to a new desktop and am leaning towards the new Mac Mini Server model ( I don't really need a server, but i like the idea of two internal hard drives). Mainly will be used for web surfing and IPhoto (40k photo album)

Couple of questions:
- I'm not a techie and don't fully understand all that goes into benchmark scores. Will the Mini outperform my current Imac noticeably?
- Will the server version of OSX cause me any unexpected headaches? I am hoping it will look and feel the same as the regular OS. Not going to use the server functionality, so i hope it does not cause any setup or upgrade headaches down the road.
- I already have a two Apple Displays which is a big part of why i was looking at the mini vs the new iMac (along with the price). For what i use the system for will the lack of dedicated graphics be noticeable.
- I am fortunate and have a 10% off card for a purchase at an apple retail store. I was considering upgrading to the 2.6 but i could not take advantage of the discount then - but i could take advantage of the education pricing. Is the speed bump worth the cost assuming i am maxing out the RAM?

Thanks in advance for any comments or thoughts you can share.
Ed

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I think.....

1- You will note a performance increase. New mac Mini have a quad core. Not so sure about the web browsing and iPhoto experience, but sure that will be snappier.

2-In my experience, the headaches in the server version of OS X starts when one wants to configure and tweak the software-hardware as a server. Said the latter, the server version have some particularities in the GUI and general feeling what are different from the normal OS X. Not sure about Mountain Lion, because I am not upgrading my machine to ML

3-Dont think so the loss of dedicated graphics will damage your user experience. But I dont know if you plan to use the 2 displays at the same time

4- Go with the base model and get the 10% off. For me, the upgrade to the 2.6 it is not worth. But again, more power, little or not, always can be useful

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.