Upgrade HHD now get pinwheel a lot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TXbug, Apr 7, 2011.

1. TXbug macrumors member

TXbug

My MacBook Pro is a 2009 model, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, with a 250 GB HHD.

I upgraded the HHD to 500 GB. I used SuperDuper to clone the drive making it bootable and a startup drive. After doing that, I get the pinwheel on everything, Firefox, Terminal, Activity Monitor, Safari, Mail, Outlook, Word, Excel, eveything. If I put the original 250 GB HHD back in, everything works without the pinwheel.

Something is different and wrong to cause this. Any suggestions?

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

- Possible the new HDD is DOA
    - tried a fresh install on the new drive?
    - maybe try cloning with CCC instead of SuperDuper?

3. TXbug thread starter macrumors member

TXbug

I tried two new HDD, both WD5000BEKT, 7200 rpm. I tried CCC, I tried building a new install from the distribution disk. In all cases I still get that annoying pinwheel.

I can put the original 250GB, Fujitsu back in there and it works fine. But, I out of space. Only 10% free.

Is there a HHD that is Mac compatible?

4. LunaC macrumors member

Search for the recent ssd thread on resetting permission/ ownership

5. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

That's quite odd, lots of people have had success with that model of drive in MBPs. No HDD is really specifically "Mac Compatible" so I wouldn't worry about that.

6. TXbug, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011

TXbug thread starter macrumors member

TXbug

I got it fixed, the long hard way.

I tried SuperDuper! and CCC. I tried a fresh install and use the Mac facility to copy the files from the old drive. I tried a fresh install and use Time Machine backup to install the old drive files. All failed to fix the problem.

The problem appears to be corrupt file(s).

So, I erased the new 500 GB HHD and did a fresh install from the 10.6 update CD/DVD. Then I did the upgrades using the "Software Update...". Then I install the software I use, iLife, iWorks, MS Office for MAC 2011, etc. Then I exported the iPhotos to another drive and I copied the iTunes files, music, TV Shows, Movies, Podcasts, etc. to the other drive. I then imported the iPhotos and "Added to Library" the iTunes files.

Everything worked for a while. However, while organizing the iPhotos into Events, the pinwheel started back up frequently. A little research can up with the solution for that. Quit iPhoto, hold down the command and option key while starting up iPhoto again. A menu appears to rebuild the iPhoto files.

Since then everything works fine.

Apparently something was corrupt or got corrupt when copying from old drive to new. What and how, I don't know.

The problem was not the new hard drive.

7. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Well, when you organize large libraries for the first time, some beach ball is expected. It takes time to index or reindex stuff.