Upgrade: I have an iPad 2, which should I go with

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AlarmGuy13, Apr 3, 2016.

1. AlarmGuy13 macrumors newbie

I have an iPad 2. Should I upgrade to the Air2 or the new, smaller sized Pro?

Primary use will be media consumption, magazine reading, internet browsing, and games; in that order.

Thanks.

2. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Air 2 for your needs.

Simple as that. Save yourself the money, and treat yourself to a nice dinner or something. You'll be better off!

Unless you really have a thing for the Apple Pencil or 9.7' tablet photography... :p

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

iPad Air 2, without at doubt. It's offers a better price-to-features ratio than the Pro (in my opinion). If you can find one for less than $399, go for it!

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The 9.7 Pro, without a doubt. Better screen, better speakers, faster processor. Go for it.

5. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

No - take another look at the OP's use cases for the iPad.
    'Better' is subjective. Some might not like the inaccurate 'True Tone' colour gimmick. Or the speakers / 15% faster processor might not be 'better' considering the price.

Another redundant and sarcastic post from yours truly.

6. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

Part of your decision involves how much you are willing to spend. Minimum for Pro is $599 with 32GB. Minimum for Air2 is $399 with 16GB which is pretty much worthless or $499 with 64GB. If cost isn't an issue I'd go with Pro with 128 GB for $749. For me the happy medium would be the 32GB Pro but that may not be enough storage for your needs. I do believe it always make the most sense to go with the newest technology so if you can swing it definitely go for the Pro.

7. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

What does 'newest technology' mean when it's essentially the same product, in the same chassis, with a few tweaks?

New doesn't equal better.

8. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

While I'm not a huge fan of the new iPad Pro 9.7 as an upgrade for the Air 2 for myself, other than price there isn't any thing the Air 2 is "better" at than the Pro. It is just if it is worth the extra $$, not if it is better or not. This isn't the iPhone SE vs. the iPhone 6s where you can justify the iPhone SE being better at certain things (one handed operation, longer lasting battery, less slippery to hold, no camera bump etc.)

9. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

It isn't 'better at' anything. But it is 'better' for the price. Much better.

(At least for the OP's uses)

10. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

In this case new does equal better. The Pro has a faster processor, more enhanced screen regardless of True Tone, and improved sound which are all things that would be beneficial for everything the OP stated he uses it for. The question is are those improvements worth the extra cost to the OP. If not he can do fine with the Air2.

11. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Better? 'Better for what price' is what you should be asking.

The screen isn't enhanced at all, 'True Tone' was just a cheap way for Apple to market a screen improvement without actually making any physical improvements.

Improved sound? The Air 2's speakers go above and beyond for the OP's use cases.

But yeah, I do see what you're saying (no sarcasm).

12. Capt T macrumors 6502a

How long do you plan on keeping the iPad Alarmguy13? I would suggest if you plan on keeping it as long as you did the iPad2, and Price does not factor into it, get the new iPad Pro 9.7".

13. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Just curious, have you seen the iPad Pro 9.7 in person?

14. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

I've got the Air 2 and Pro 12.9'.

I've seen many videos on the 9.7' and wish to see it in person soon.

15. Mainiac macrumors member

Mainiac

The screen actually is enhanced. I spent a good 15 minutes comparing the screens on the Air2 and Pro in the Apple Store on Thursday. Apple claims the Pro screen is 25% brighter and 40% less reflective. I can't vouch for the actual percentages but that was definitely the case. The Pro screen was significantly brighter than the Air2. With a light directly overhead they both reflected the actual bulb but the Pro screen reflected less features of the ceiling around the bulb. Then I turned True Tone on and did find the screen to look even better. Now that part is subjective and others probably don't see any difference or think it's worse.

In the end the OP needs to spend some time with them both if possible and decide if the Air2 is all he needs or if the Pro provides a better experience for the extra money.