Upgrade iMac G3 Snow?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lwcoffer2, Oct 30, 2007.

1. lwcoffer2 macrumors member

lwcoffer2

Hello everyone,

I have an ancient iMac G3 Snow 500DV (w/ 640 Ram) and I want to see if its worth upgrading or not. I plan on getting a Macbook when they are updated, so this will be a backup machine. What I plan on doing is getting another 512 slot of ram, upgrading the OS to either tiger or panther (i'm not sure which will work best), and upgrading the HD to 120gb. What do you all think? It still works fine but I would like to have at least panther or tiger installed. Thanks in advance.

2. Queso macrumors G4

Hmm, unless you're particularly attached to it I would say ditch the snow and get one of the low-end minis. Although both Tiger and Panther will run perfectly well on that machine providing you stuff it with RAM the current crop of software is another matter.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

Pop in a larger 3.5" hard drive, get some cheap ram, install Tiger and you've got a nice server/iTunes/storage machine for under $300.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What do you use it for?

I have a rev. C 266MHz iMac G3 running Panther on 288MB RAM...it's slow but can be used as a music server or internet terminal. Your 500MHz model with 1GB RAM and a 7200RPM HDD would probably be a useful machine to tide you over.

5. MacHipster macrumors 6502

Man, the snow brings up feelings of nostalgia. I chose between that or the then newly designed iBook. I chose the iBook, but part of me still longs for the old iMacs. Those were the days.:)

6. lwcoffer2 thread starter macrumors member

lwcoffer2

After reading the above suggestions I might just buy a used "1.83 GHz core duo" mini on ebay and donate the iMac. I think I can find one for about $400. Thanks for you suggestions.