upgrade iMac graphics card?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cloudnine, Apr 30, 2008.

1. cloudnine macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

Okay, I'm embarassed to ask this... I know this is a total n00b question, but I'm only asking because i came across this article:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/24+inch-imacs-graphics-card-is-self+upgradeable-199477.php

I realize that not only is the article a couple years old, and that it applies to the older style iMac, but I was wondering if there is any chance in hell that it might be possible with the new iMacs. I know, that even if it was possible, it would be a hell of a lot of work, taking apart the iMac, probably some soldering, etc... not to mention the difficulties of even getting ahold of the new NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS chip/card.

That would bring me to my next question... it probably wouldn't even be possible to put in an NVIDIA chip/card in there if an ATI one is now, right? I'm sorta clueless when it comes to hardware (as you can already tell... hah).

Just wondering, since I bought my 24" 2.8ghz iMac a month ago and now it's already outdated... grrrr. :mad:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Please search; a thread about this was made less than five minutes ago.

It's not really possible.

What do you mean 'already'? They've been out since August; they're a little old.

3. cloudnine thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

sorry, i clearly spent too much time creating my post. :rolleyes:

already, meaning i've only had it a month.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You could sell it for most of its retail value and upgrade if you find 2.8 GHz to be insufficient.

5. cloudnine thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloudnine

2.8ghz is great. the graphics card is "meh".