Upgrade in 1 year and 5 months?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joshuakrey, Jul 7, 2010.

1. joshuakrey macrumors member

I just ordered the iPhone 4 off AT&T's website last night (July 6 about 11 p.m.), therefore signing another 2 year contract. When I went to check the eligibility for upgrade it said:

iPhone Upgrade
    You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing at a participating retail sales location. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/07/2011
    More Details

That makes it only 1 year and 5 months before I can upgrade again. Anyone else have this?

2. OrtegaJ macrumors newbie

as you are a valued customer to att they offer an upgrade after a year and a half, if you dont put a lot of extras on your account it is 1 year and 9 months. So that is normal as you are an iphone owner.

3. joshuakrey thread starter macrumors member

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

So I'm a brand new AT&T customer (ported 2 numbers over from Verizon) and have two iPhone 4's on a Family Plan.

Here's what mine says:

What does that mean? That's only 1 year from now.

What's even more confusing is when I click on the more details link next to that it says:

Sounds to me like mixed messages! :eek:

BTW, my wife's phone (the 2nd line) on this account shows:

-Kevin

5. OrtegaJ macrumors newbie

here is another tip from a former att worker, when you are the main line you are worth more to att as you control where the family plan goes so they will sometimes offer an upgrade after just a year, and now you are stuck with att for another two years and your family is going to be there too. (also everyones upgrades are different is good to att as someone is always getting an upgrade leaving you longer in the control of att)

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yeah, that's how most cell companies work. For years on Verizon I (as the main line) was always allowed to upgrade earlier and for lower costs than my wife's phone.

The AT&T rep even told me that when activating my phone (because I wanted to make sure my line was the primary :D)

-Kevin

7. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Still Upgrade Elligible?

I just did *NEW# and got a text back saying that "As a valued customer we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee."

Now I have had my new iPhone since 6/23 and have even already recieved last months bill. Are they still not caught up yet updating everyone's accounts?

*EDIT* I just went through AT&T's site and it was going to let me order another iP4 for full upgrade discount price! Might have to order another one for the wife since she is not elligible until April 2011.

8. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Technically, two years, yes. But in reality you are only committing to an additional year added to your original contract.

Example: signed up in 6/2009, contract expires 6/2011. ATT lets you upgrade in 2010 if you sign a new contract. 6/2010 contract expires 6/2012.

ATT gets you for an additional year, you get a new phone quicker. Good deal for all involved.