iPad mini Upgrade iPad mini in early 2015, or get Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Nov 25, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello everyone
    I am trying to decide which I should go for. For my bday I'll be getting a 32gb 5s, and also a Pebble Watch for Christmas. Should I upgrade my iPad mini with Christmas money, to a refurb iPad Air 2 when the refurbished models are released, or should I get the :apple:Watch instead? I think not being able to use it in the shower, pool, at the beach, etc. is a drawback, and also having to raise my wrist to see the time and possibly difficult outdoor readability are also drawbacks for me personally. But I just can't decide! I love the idea of the :apple:Watch and the cool features, they are so futuristic and I am a geek, so I can hardly resist getting a new device in a completely new category from Apple.
    But I will already have a Pebble so maybe I should just stick with that and get the Air 2. What do you guys think?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd have to say the iPad and the apple watch serve two very different needs. Depending on what you want to do, will dictate which product to purchase.

Personally, I think there's more functionality and ability with an iPad, the watch is expensive, limited by a small battery life and is not water proof. While it may not be a failure, it has its flaws and depending on what you're looking to do should dictate which product is a better fit

3. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Yeah I agree the iPad does provide a lot of functionality, and the Air 2 would be a huge upgrade from my mini 1. But then again, my mini 1 is still running pretty well.
    I can convince myself to not get the :apple:Watch, by saying it isn't fully waterproof and the screen isn't aways on, so it isn really that convenient as a watch. But I keep coming back to it. There is just something so geeky and cool about it!

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you really have to spend that money - I would recommend the iPad. The watch will be a first generation product and those typically do not have a long life span (for the serious cash you will fork out, its not $25).

If your Mini is still going ok (for your use patterns) and is not your primary device, then I would even hold off upgrading anything and save up for a newer device in late 2015 when a.) Your Mini would have run into the ground and you would have extracted all the value out of that
    b.) A new iPad will be out.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you are going to get Pebble watch then you don't need Apple watch. :apple:

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Get the :apple: Watch. It serves a totally different need and is a completely different product.

What realistically can the iPad Air 2 do that your iPad Mini can't do?

8. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Watch is pointless imo. Get the Air 2. Or a real watch like a Patek Philippe. You're spoiled :p

9. donnaw macrumors 65816

Sounds like you're young. Put the $$$ in your college fund. It will pay off later when you're in college and starving.

If you're not young and are working, put the $$$ in your retirement fund. It will pay off when you're old and starving.

But to be serious, you really don't have to own every new gadget Apple comes out with. The watch is a first gen. While it might be fun, unless you actually have money to burn save it until either a newer iPad comes out or the second gen watch.

10. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I would suggest iPad Air 2. Currently, I'm not so sure about a pre-released product. Maybe that'll change once it releases, but for now I'm skeptical:(

11. JDnLex macrumors newbie

Personally, I decided on a Pebble watch instead of the Apple Watch. From my experience owning a first gen iPhone and iPad, first generation Apple products aren't quite polished enough.

True, the Pebble is a first gen product, but it's a much less significant investment. I think the Pebble is a great watch for the next year while the Apple Watch goes through further refinement.

It could be that the Apple Watch product cycle will be longer. The thought of spending $350+ for an accessory and then 9-12 months later the new, improved, gps enabled, 2x the battery life (which is sounding like 2x would be 2-4 days), Watch 2 be unveiled for $199, is enough to keep me on the sidelines.

Best of luck!

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

How could you judge a not yet released product like the :apple: Watch?
    Btw there are no direct correlation between the two products (a tablet and a smartwatch ) so there is no direct answer.
    What I can say is the iPad mini, if you mean the original, is an heavily underpowered device I would upgrade as soon as possible

13. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I agree. I really want the :apple:Watch: but I know that as much as I want the first gen :apple:Watch, I'll want the second gen even more:D:)

The pebble will be great for a year or so before the second gen :apple:Watch comes out. Plus the pebble IMO has many benefits that make it better than the :apple:Watch.

14. macduke Suspended

macduke

Personally I would pick the Air 2, especially if I was coming from the old Mini. The tri-core processor is about 10 times faster, it has four times the RAM, you get a beautiful retina display with lower reflectivity and larger color gamut, incredible graphics performance, Touch ID, AC Wi-Fi with MIMO (the MIMO made the real difference for me back on the Mini 2), an improved camera, and it's thinner. The first generation Apple Watch will probably be kinda buggy, extremely limited app support at first (glances, etc), and have poor battery life. But it would be cool to have the first generation. Some people also like to show off, so if that's your thing, then the Apple Watch would make a great fashion accessory. I'm on the fence about whether or not I'll get one. It depends on what the final specifications are and how much money I have to spend on such things at the time. But if I didn't have either I'd get the iPad first.

15. 617aircav Suspended

Get neither. You don't need them.

16. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Any more suggestions from anyone else?
    I have been using my mini a lot lately, I used to use my MBA for youtube and web browsing, but now my mini is serving that purpose. I know i really would enjoy the larger screen of the Air 2, and the faster processor as well. But I am still so interested in the :apple:Watch....

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Should I get a new dog or a car? I guess I could technically ride the dog, but the car would be really nice.

Seriously though. They are totally different devices. Not even near the same category of items.