iPad Upgrade iPad mini or iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JerTheGeek, Oct 16, 2014.

1. JerTheGeek, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

JerTheGeek macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

Hello all
    I have an iPad mini and I also have an iPhone 4s. I am wanting to upgrade one of these devices for my birthday in December. The only dilemma is I don't know which one to upgrade. I really like the iPhone 5S but I also like the iPad air 2. Both of my devices are running good but I would like to have the upgrades that are included in the newer iOS devices. I was originally planning on getting the 5s, for around $400 used, because of the Apple watch compatibility. However if I wait till next August I could get the iPhone 6 S or whatever they are going to call the next one because I will be eligible for an upgrade at that time. Then for my bday this year I could get the iPad Air 2 and wait till next year to get the Apple watch rather than getting it on launch. So what do you guys think? Should I get the iPad Air 2, wait to upgrade my phone till I'm eligible for an upgrade, and hold off on getting the Apple watch for a little while; or should I get the iPhone 5s and be able to get the Apple watch a few months after launch?
    Thanks
    JerTheGeek.

2. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

If you are on a contract with your phone, it would probably be best not to upgrade it now. The iPad Air 2 is nice. If you aren't dying for Touch ID, the old iPad Air can be purchased for 340$, or 160$ off the original price, from the Apple refurb store. That comes with a 1 year warranty. It is up to you in the end, but your carrier will probably hit you hard with fees if you are still on contract with your 4s.

Matt

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Def upgrade the phone. I'm still running the iPad Mini 1st gen and it works just fine.

4. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I am leaning toward the iphone upgrade, but then again I could wait a while and get the iphone 6 or 6 plus and get an even bigger upgrade for a lot cheaper cause it would be on contract. plus I do like that ipad air 2....

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

It is quite the dilemma. Too many Apple toys and not enough money!

6. JerTheGeek thread starter macrumors 68000

JerTheGeek

I think i just made up my mind. one of the main reasons i wanted the iPhone was because of the apple watch, but i have decided to wait on the apple watch and might not get it at all. SOOOO there isn't as much incentive to upgrade my phone. Plus i could wait and and get the iPhone 6 for my upgrade this summer. i think ill get the air 2

7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i tried the iphone 6+ to merge my ipad mini and iphone, but felt that it failed miserably. As a result, I just returned the iphone 6+ and bought a 64gb iphone 4s on ebay for 179. I don't really see any significant new features with the iphones, so i guess my vote would be for the new ipad air.