Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
This is probably an insane question, but does anyone know if it would be possible or worth while to upgrade the RAM in my Iphone 3G?

It works great, but runs super slow with iOS4. I don't see a reason to replace a perfectly good phone, but I would obviously love it if I could make it run faster.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Inconceivable. Stick with iOS 3 until you're ready for newer hardware.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
This is probably an insane question, but does anyone know if it would be possible or worth while to upgrade the RAM in my Iphone 3G?

It works great, but runs super slow with iOS4. I don't see a reason to replace a perfectly good phone, but I would obviously love it if I could make it run faster.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

iOS4 on iPhone 3G? Might as well use Windows Vista with 256MB's of RAM. Upgrading the iPhone 3G's RAM, if even possible, doesn't sound cost-convenient.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Inconceivable.

Great Movie Quote.

While I could stick with iOS3, I really like the folders option. I thought about upgrading to a 3GS, but they are barely cheaper than the 4. Seems silly to bother. So I was just looking for temporary upgrade options while I wait for the next iPhone.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
It can't be upgraded???

Embedded systems like smartphones put all the RAM, GPU, etc onto the same chip as the CPU. There's nothing to upgrade, and there's no room to allow for upgradable parts. There's barely enough room for the components that are there.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
It can't be upgraded???

you have to rip everything apart and in the process destroy the phone. and a lot of things run with each other. i think the ram is connected or part of the processor? anyhow you would be spending 2X as much as buying a new phone. not to mention all the work.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Embedded systems like smartphones put all the RAM, GPU, etc onto the same chip as the CPU. There's nothing to upgrade, and there's no room to allow for upgradable parts. There's barely enough room for the components that are there.

I was afraid of something like that. I knew you all would have the answer.

Thanks everyone for helping.

theappleone

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
But unless you can build a custom casing for it for example, remove the whole board out (carefully and completly discharge yourself before even touching it) and maybe build a casing big enough to support (modified) laptop ram probably and possibly make the device faster and awesome looking as well. Oh, and you may have to modify the chip inside if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel3102

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2014
Add RAM to an iPhone? Might as well put an A7 and 1500 mAh batter while you're at it! :p

It probably wouldn't be worth it. But, I know how you feel. I have an old 3Gs and I LOVE the way it feels in the hand :)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
But unless you can build a custom casing for it for example, remove the whole board out (carefully and completly discharge yourself before even touching it) and maybe build a casing big enough to support (modified) laptop ram probably and possibly make the device faster and awesome looking as well. Oh, and you may have to modify the chip inside if possible.

Zombie thread comes back from the dead. But I had to respond to address this.

No. Just no. The laptop memory is no doubt going to have different timings from the built in RAM on the SoC. Then you have to power that RAM and whatever controller you install with it. And this completely ignores the fact that you probably still won't get the RAM recognized by the SoC, because nothing on the board or its firmware is looking for any attached out-of-spec, different-timing RAM on a separate controller.

And even ignoring all of THAT... the CPU and GPU probably aren't powerful enough to run iOS4 anyway.

So no, you can't upgrade it. Even if you could, all the effort and cost of materials would likely be more than just ditching the phone and getting the next model up anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.