Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2015
I currently have an iPhone 6s through U.S. Cellular. I have had it for almost 2 years and I am on the 30 month retail installment plan where you can upgrade after 2 years but you have to trade in your old phone. If you don’t trade in your phone you have to finish the last 6 payments on it and it is yours to keep and you don’t have any monthly payments on it. I pay $21.60 a month just for my 6s on my plan and it would come up to $129.60 to keep this phone that last 6 months. U.S. Cellular is having a promotion right now where you can save $200 off of a new iPhone if you upgrade. On my 6s, I need a battery replacement because battery life is not too good and in my battery settings my capacity is at 82% and I have had unexpected shutdowns. What would you guys do? I hate that new iPhones are around the corner but I also could save quite a bit upgrading. Do I upgrade or just get a battery replacement for my 6s? Hope to hear some input. Thanks. Ps If my math is right I could get an 8 regular price $649 for $449 with the sale and put the $129.60 from what I will pay on my old phone toward it and come up with $319.40 as the difference. I would also need to figure in the cost of a battery replacement for my 6s in that amount.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Since you seem to be ok with having a phone that’s a few generations old, I would either take your carrier’s deal of $200 off a new phone, or try to find a better deal on eBay and buy a newer phone outright. The longer you hold onto the 6S, the less it will be worth in trade-in or resale and the more it will cost you to keep it afloat.

If you keep the 6S and get a new battery, you’re essentially throwing money at an aging phone and in a few months you’re gonna want the newest model. It’s kind of like painting an old car before you scrap it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I currently have an iPhone 6s through U.S. Cellular. I have had it for almost 2 years and I am on the 30 month retail installment plan where you can upgrade after 2 years but you have to trade in your old phone. If you don’t trade in your phone you have to finish the last 6 payments on it and it is yours to keep and you don’t have any monthly payments on it. I pay $21.60 a month just for my 6s on my plan and it would come up to $129.60 to keep this phone that last 6 months. U.S. Cellular is having a promotion right now where you can save $200 off of a new iPhone if you upgrade. On my 6s, I need a battery replacement because battery life is not too good and in my battery settings my capacity is at 82% and I have had unexpected shutdowns. What would you guys do? I hate that new iPhones are around the corner but I also could save quite a bit upgrading. Do I upgrade or just get a battery replacement for my 6s? Hope to hear some input. Thanks. Ps If my math is right I could get an 8 regular price $649 for $449 with the sale and put the $129.60 from what I will pay on my old phone toward it and come up with $319.40 as the difference. I would also need to figure in the cost of a battery replacement for my 6s in that amount.

Unless you’re not interested in the latest iPhones that will debut in the fall, which is the rumor 6.1 LCD iPhone, 5.8 iPhone X and 6.5 iPhone X, then I would upgrade now. It sounds like you don’t upgrade very often, and I think the iPhone 8 would be a significant upgrade in almost every way over the 6S, especially given that seems to be a decent promotion.

I would not invest any more costs in your iPhone 6s, as is just really becoming more dated, even though a battery replacement is optional.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I just got a new iPhone 6s at work. It runs great on iOS 11.4. That being said the $200 off a new phone is not bad either. Not sure what the resale value will be for the 6s after the new phones come out in September.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I still have the 6s plus and I don't plan to upgrade for at least another year. It is still smooth and fast on iOS 11.4 and it can easily do everything I need to do with a phone. Unless you are a hi tech zombie who always want the latest device just to have the newest and greatest device in your possession, save your cash and continue to enjoy your current phone.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have a 6S too and plan to upgrade to an 8 in a couple of months. Sounds like a good deal for you and I’d go for it unless you want to see how much further the price drops once the new phones are unveiled?

The 6S is an excellent phone though. I’d go as far as to say it’s the best iPhone to date and really should be good for another couple of years. Mine will be passed on to a relative with the advice to upgrade the battery.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Wow, ok i guess you would if thats all you have had for the last nearly 3 years, those the have had a 7,8,X from a 6S may disagree.
I'm agree with him because when the 6s came out, it was the biggest gap in performance for an upgrade I've also seen as well. The price for the phone at that time was not as high as today new flagship, and the 6s had and will have an exceptional life span without compromising performance. I have my phone for over 2 years now, and this is the first time since I begin to buy smartphones (3GS in 2010) that I don't feel the need to upgrade after all that time with the same phone.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You didn’t hear about the 6S battery problems?
Yeah hence why I said this.
Mine will be passed on to a relative with the advice to upgrade the battery.
My battery is still good almost 2 years on though but it can’t harm to take advantage of the cheap battery offer while it’s available. It’s the current software update that’s affected battery life in the last two weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.