Upgrade iPhone...SIM card question..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RWil85, Oct 10, 2014.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

Sorry if this has been explained a thousand times over..searched briefly and didn't find what I was looking for..

I have an iPhone 5 - if I were to upgrade to a 5S or 6 - what would that entail SIM card-wise?

For instance, if I purchase a 5S from someone - do I just pop my SIM into the new phone and it will instantly work with my carrier info or is there more to it?

I thought in the past I had to go to Verizon's website and enter the ESN to activate it on my line, etc. - curious if I still need to do that and/or if there is something that needs to be done with the SIM.

Thanks!

2. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

Just pop your old SIM card into the 5s/6 and you're good to go.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

The iPhone 5, 5s and 6 all use nano SIM cards, so you'd just have to pop out your SIM from your 5 and put it in the 5s and you're good to go.

If you have Verizon, they operate on CDMA technology, so you probably would have to update the ESN of the phone via the Verizon web site in order to use the phone on their network. However, if you're with AT&T or T-Mobile, just swap out SIM cards and you're good.

4. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

Even with Verizon, all you have to do is swap out the SIM cards.

5. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks everyone for their input, appreciate it.

6. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

I took my iPhone 5 SIM card and put in in my iPhone 6 and it activated seamlessly.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/VZAccess/4g_sim_card.html