Upgrade iPhone...SIM card question..

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Sorry if this has been explained a thousand times over..searched briefly and didn't find what I was looking for..

I have an iPhone 5 - if I were to upgrade to a 5S or 6 - what would that entail SIM card-wise?

For instance, if I purchase a 5S from someone - do I just pop my SIM into the new phone and it will instantly work with my carrier info or is there more to it?

I thought in the past I had to go to Verizon's website and enter the ESN to activate it on my line, etc. - curious if I still need to do that and/or if there is something that needs to be done with the SIM.

Thanks!

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Sorry if this has been explained a thousand times over..searched briefly and didn't find what I was looking for..

I have an iPhone 5 - if I were to upgrade to a 5S or 6 - what would that entail SIM card-wise?

For instance, if I purchase a 5S from someone - do I just pop my SIM into the new phone and it will instantly work with my carrier info or is there more to it?

I thought in the past I had to go to Verizon's website and enter the ESN to activate it on my line, etc. - curious if I still need to do that and/or if there is something that needs to be done with the SIM.

Thanks!
Just pop your old SIM card into the 5s/6 and you're good to go.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
The iPhone 5, 5s and 6 all use nano SIM cards, so you'd just have to pop out your SIM from your 5 and put it in the 5s and you're good to go.

If you have Verizon, they operate on CDMA technology, so you probably would have to update the ESN of the phone via the Verizon web site in order to use the phone on their network. However, if you're with AT&T or T-Mobile, just swap out SIM cards and you're good.

DrakeMcEachern

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
The iPhone 5, 5s and 6 all use nano SIM cards, so you'd just have to pop out your SIM from your 5 and put it in the 5s and you're good to go.

If you have Verizon, they operate on CDMA technology, so you probably would have to update the ESN of the phone via the Verizon web site in order to use the phone on their network. However, if you're with AT&T or T-Mobile, just swap out SIM cards and you're good.
Even with Verizon, all you have to do is swap out the SIM cards.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks everyone for their input, appreciate it.
Verizon said:
Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM in more than one device?

Yes; the Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card contains all of your subscriber information, so the SIM card is portable and can be used in any Verizon Wireless-certified 4G device. All usage will be billed to the account associated with the 4G SIM card.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/VZAccess/4g_sim_card.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.