Upgrade iPhone's RAM

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wcmary, Nov 13, 2007.

1. wcmary macrumors newbie

Wondering if any electronics gurus have compared the 16gb iTouch and 8gb iPhone's RAM to see if they are compatible...:D

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Yes a iPod touch and iphone have been opened up before and they share the same parts. The memory modules are the same basically(ipod touch 16gb jst has more chips)

3. Blue Ocean macrumors newbie

upgrade Iphone RAM

Is there a way to replace or add more RAM chips to a 8 GB IPHONE - to make it 16 GB ? are these chips available for purchase anyware?

Thx

4. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

lol there wont be room on the pcb etc just sell ur 8bg phone and get a 16gb one. or wait till june and upgrade

5. hackerman664 macrumors newbie

ok dude the ram in the iphone and the memory chip is not the same the iphone has an 8 gig memory chip and like 512 megs of ram ram stands for random accese memory the ram is were temp files are stored but the memory is were your data like music and photos are so if u have experince in soldering in theroy it would be possible to upgrade the memory chip for more space but not the ram now im no doing it to my iphone but u can

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

^^ I was about to say, How are you talking about Flash chips in a RAM thread.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

RAM is Random Access Memory. The iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod Touch, iPod Touch second generation all have 128mb of RAM. The operating system and applications are loaded into the RAM when launched for quick access as the hard drive or SSD drive is not nearly as fast. When you shut down your phone or computer, your RAM is wiped. If your computer is running slow, the best thing in nearly all cases you can do is upgrade your RAM (after running the usual tune ups of course).

Then you have the SSD drive, which is similar in operation (but not build) to a hard drive. It permanently stores files like your music and movies and applications.

8. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

COOL! My laptop has 120GB of RAM! MUAHAHAAHH!!! :rolleyes:

9. freadman macrumors newbie

no, no it does not.

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

11. TC25 macrumors 68020

True, but it's an important thread and the new post added so much information! :D

12. Macsimas macrumors newbie

When I initially stumbled upon this post, I was indeed curious on if it was possible to install more ram into the Iphone. Yes, yes...I know what RAM is. I want more of it. I want my Iphone to run at its potential when connected to a large bandwidth connection and not be restricted by lag.

This is the first post to register within the search engine on my phone about this topic and I clear my cookies and cache regularly. Therefore it is most likely the most common board on the internet to discuss this topic.

If anyone has some advice/ knowledge on the subject, don't hesitate to influence the industry.