Upgrade Jailbreak how to? worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Raishi, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Raishi macrumors member

Hey its nubby me again posting on these forums =p

I am on 4.0.1 with Cydia.

My questions regard going 4.1 and then getting something like Limerain.

if I where to attempt an upgrade, is there anything I should know about first?

Along with that will I lose any of my Cydia jail broken apps if I use a different jail breaker like Limerain?

is it ultimately worth the effort? or should I just stay 4.0.1 and keep using Cydia?

I also have SBSettings this is a big concern of mine, would having this effect my jailbreak? or would removing cydia without removing that and unhiding certain Icons be dangerous to the Iphone?

I've looked up this kind of info but no where seems to give me a direct answer to my questions.

Could I please get a step by step from people with much knowledge in this area? along with some answers to my questions? Thanks.

(Useful info people may ask for)
    -Iphone 3GS 16gb
    -Cydia
    -Installous
    -SBSettings
    -Windows Vista: Home Premium 64-bit

2. studmule macrumors regular

You have to decide if 4.1 has features that you want to have. If it does, put 4.1 on it, and jailbreak with limera1n or greenpois0n. You won't have to pay again for jailbroken apps that you already paid for. If 4.1 doesn't have anything extra that you want, then don't bother. I didn't go into details, but this is the basic decision that you have to make.

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I updated to 4.1 and used Limera1n. Personally, there isn't a whole lot in 4.1 that you're missing out on. If you want Gamecenter or HDR pictures then go for it but I only updated just to update basically. If you're fine on 4.0.1 then I'd say stay there. Maybe 4.2 will have some nice(r) features in it then 4.1 did. JB process is pretty simple with LR so make sure you have everything backed up and you should be fine.

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

4.1 also has the fix for the proximity issues alot of user have had.

EDIT: Just realized he has a 3GS.

5. Raishi thread starter macrumors member

should I uninstall Cydia first? or should I update and let it run its course, then install Limerain? I'm still a bit confused on what I have to do? *is paranoid about messing up his Iphone*

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

just back up your iphone before you do it and there's really nothing to be afraid of.

That being said, on a 3GS there's really only gamecenter to look forward to.

You might just wanna wait til november and 4.2 so you won't have to repeat this process in a couple of weeks.

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You didn't mention if you need to be able to unlock. If you do, don't upgrade to 4.1, unless you have blobs for 4.0.2 or lower or if you have a mac and can use pwnage.
    Right now, no one knows when the unlock will be available.