Upgrade Jailbreak!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by baab32, Jul 22, 2010.

1. baab32 macrumors newbie

Hi! i learned that most of the new games and apps will require 4.0 to run on iphone! i Have a 3G 3.1.3 and i would like to know if theres a way to upgrade to 4.0 wihout removing the jailbreak and without losing what stuff i have already instaled like skins themes etc.

i dont remember what method my friend used to jailbreak my phone so that might complicate things.
    thanks in advance!

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

No, but you may not have to wait too much longer.

3. baab32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously? nice i didnt think there would be something that does it! its such a pain to reinstall all skins and stuff,get back sources for cydia etc!

is there a website that gives news about this program?

4. baab32 thread starter macrumors newbie

also, cydia has something written on top: this device has SHSHs on file for iphone os 4.0 . does anybody can explain what that means please?

5. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I think it means they have stored your SHSH file for your device on their server for you. That way, if you accidentally upgrade to a newer OS eventually, you will still be able to downgrade.

That's just what I think it means. I could be mistaken.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Did you even read his post? He has a 3g...

Yes, you can update to a JBen 4.0 and you will have to reinstall you cydia stuff.

7. baab32 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! thats what i was wondering! i dont realy want to have to reinstall everything and find my sources back so i'l stay with 3.1.3 for now. In case i change my mind, can i get a link that gives instructions on where to get the programe necessary to upgrade my JB from 3.1.3 to 4.0?

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Here!

You will want to reinstall cydia apps because not everything you have on it right now will be compatible with 4.0(more then likely).

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

use Aptbackup make it a little easier lets you backup yor cydia appa etc. just keep in mind somethings aren't 4.0 compatible so tread carefully. also allot of 3G owners aren't happy with 4.0 performance on there 3g. so so your aware.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would strongly recommend against AptBackup. It is very hit-or-miss (it worked only once out of four times I tried it -- once it required a restore), and it will not work if you setup as a new phone. I highly recommend PkgBackup. It's not free, but it is well worth the couple of bucks it costs. And it allows selective restores, syncing and backing up multiple devices. A much better solution.

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ on pkgbackup most times I mention it people want to be cheap. :rolleyes:

12. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Just click "manage" in Cydia, and write everything down that is installed on your phone, and then reinstall these items after your new jailbreak.

It's a good idea to reinstall this stuff anyway, so that first of all, as others have mentions, you can verify compatibility, but also so you can purge whatever you may no longer need or want.