Upgrade kit for mini 2012

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by grandM, Nov 23, 2013.

1. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

you won't need this. the mini is already a 2.5" bay machine. If you want to add the ssd as a second drive you will need a kit like the "owc data doubler" unless you have the server variant which already has the cable and the screws. but regardless you will still need to buy the logic board removal tool - again OWC :D

good luck mate.

Oh, and check the icix it instructions and the OWC installation videos. they are both very helpful.

2. blanka macrumors 68000

To add a SSD you only need:
    SATA cable for lower bay
    torx 8 + hex 2mm to remove the airport grill.
    That's it.
    Leave the board in place and don't care about the screws. Connect the cable to the SSD, slide it in, add the spacer that comes with it if it is too loose. The SSD won't move a bit.
    5 min. work.
    DON'T FOLLOW OWC/IFIXIT VIDEOS!
    You can seriously damage your machine if you really care about inserting 2 screws on the side and take the complete machine apart to do so!

3. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

confused

I'm a bit confused:
    Do I need this: http://www.amazon.de/OWC-Doubler-In...=1385242001&sr=8-11&keywords=owc+data+doubler
    or: http://www.amazon.de/Festplatten-Fl...d=1385242001&sr=8-1&keywords=owc+data+doubler
    or: http://www.amazon.de/SSD-35cm-OWC-D...d=1385242001&sr=8-8&keywords=owc+data+doubler
    or just a cable? Which screws?

----------

The OS must come onto the ssd. Is that still possible then?
    What are the specifications of the cable?
    torx & hex are screwdrivers?

4. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

It really isn't hard to take the damn thing apart. and you can seriously damage anything by doing anything when you open a machine up!

The key is to be careful, slow and steady, and not rush the mod…

----------

OP:

the first two are effectively the same. the OWC kit i know works (the sata cable does) i have never seen the second one ( http://www.amazon.de/Festplatten-Fle...c+data+doubler ) but given that its much much cheaper i would go with that. google the brand and see if there are any known issues with this kit too.

The third option that you showed is for MBP and will not work on a mini so disregard that.

Also please do consider what blanka above has posted. if you have no experience with taking things apart and are concerned that you may damage your mini i'd go with his alternative. That being said keep in mind that you SSD won't be secured in the box (though its not like it can go anywhere (quite a tight fit).

With respect to the drive that the os is on, it doesn't matter how you install the drive. you would still have to format the new drive, and then proceed to install the os on it. (google clean install osx)

Good luck mate, :D

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I suggest you visit ifixit.com and view the video there about taking the Mini apart.

Also -- visit youtube and search for "late 2012" Mini videos.

There will probably be several, but by taking the time to view them you will have several perspectives of how others do it, and what parts they needed.

If you don't want to take the Mini apart to install an SSD, you can also buy a USB3/SATA docking station, put the SSD into it, and boot and run the Mini that way, with no perceptible loss of speed. You can find these gadgets at amazon.com (enter "usb3 sata dock" in the search bar).

6. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

yes, and yes on the ifixit and you tube. but a resounding no on this usb 3 business….

1) you'll run into problems when you disconnect the drive. (minor)
    2) chicken way out… one should learn more about the **** they buy and not just be zombie-like consumers of whatever (major)
    3) defeats the purpose of having a slick mini sitting on a desk… (minor)

:D

7. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

heat

When not securing, won't there be a prob with the heat? That cable would lie between those 2 drives?
    Is the cheap kit the right cable? I saw somewhere there's a difference when there are 2 cables?

8. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

There is a definite difference between the sata cables for the lower and upper drives, they are not interchangeable.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

[[ yes, and yes on the ifixit and you tube. but a resounding no on this usb 3 business….
    1) you'll run into problems when you disconnect the drive. (minor)
    2) chicken way out… one should learn more about the **** they buy and not just be zombie-like consumers of whatever (major)
    3) defeats the purpose of having a slick mini sitting on a desk… (minor) ]]

Nonsense -- absolute nonsense.

I've been running a late 2012 2.6ghz Mini (typing on it now) with an "external booter" since mid-January. My external boot drive is an IBM 520 series SSD mounted in a plugable.com "lay-flat" docking station, which I keep in an out-of-the-way location on my desk.

NO problems at all running that way - NONE. Turns on when I want, boots to login screen in about 15 seconds, sleeps without problems, wakes without problems. No problems, period.

It boots and runs beautifully, just as fast as if the SSD were internal.

Your "chicken way out" argument makes no rational sense at all.
    It was very quick and convenient to leave the SSD external, and actually CHEAPER to do it that way. The dock cost me all of $23. And if I replace the Mini, I can keep on using it for other purposes.

Cheaper, faster, less involved -- makes sense to me. You might as well say that a surgeon (who has the option of choosing a more-invasive or less-invasive procedure) should opt for the _more invasive_ one, because to do anything less is "the chicken way out", even though the end results will be the same!

10. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

ahahha, okokok, you win :D

minus the surgeon analogy… that was taking it a bit far. :d

However, if OP wanted to make a DIY fusion drive, running the sad from an external can cause problems :D

----------

There is? none of the sites selling the cable say that…? can you show a link where there is support for this?

11. 2trout macrumors member

as far as I know, both top and bottom hard drive cables for the mac mini are the same, left is the 'lower', right is the 'upper'

Attached Files:

12. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

yeah, i mean it makes no sense that they would be different. you have to fold them differently but that is all, and that is described well on the owc cite...

13. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Only what I read on these forums, about adding a second drive, lots of chatter about upper and lower sata connectors.
    If I'm wrong then I apologize for the misinformation.

14. 2trout macrumors member

well one has to sometimes take it with a grain of salt as to what is written in forums, there is a hell of a lot of good and solid information, but there is also enough misinformation, it pays to do ones own research and to not take everything as gospel. :)

15. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

it is in a way misinformation but i can understand the confusion. From what i have ready people have been having issues with some after market cables but that has been from the ifixit kit. whereas the OWC kit seems to be working without a hitch. :D

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The 2011 model definitely needs two different cables, as I just took mine apart 45 days ago. I'd be surprised if the 2012 model wasn't very similar, as they are basically the same.

And essentially, the only thing you need is a cable (And a disk of course), but the OWC kits makes it relatively easy to do, and comes with everything you need (I used it).

17. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Basically if you went to the OWC site to look at their Data Doubler kit and then to their 2012 Mac Mini installation video you will see they have an addendum to the original install video because Apple change something in the 2012 half was through.

18. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

yes, there is an addendum video, but that does not say there is a different kind of data cable. rather if shows how to install a drive in the bottom spot, if apple placed their drive in the top spot… The kits that they sell do not differentiate between the cables rather the only difference is in the tools that come with the kit… and there the only difference is the inclusion of a wrench…
    soo…. :D

19. 2trout macrumors member

I used the OWC kit to install the SSD in my late '12 mini and keep the OEM HD, no problems at all, straight forward. Take your time, common sense prevails! :)

20. blanka macrumors 68000

I put in the SSD with 2 pins in the side. Put the gromets in the frame (had to cut off a bit of the gromet edges in order to have them fit). Removed the antenna, slided in the SSD and the spacer that came with it, to give it a little distance from the HD and make sure it fits really tight.
    No Fan removal, no Logic board removal. Nothing, just the antenna. And it is very solid in place. No movement of any kind possible.

21. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

that is because you machine came with the oem drive on top! mine for example is on the bottom :D so... i have to gut the whole thing to install the drive.. :D

btw. talking about drives, you guys seen this awesome 2tb 9.5mm Spinpoint m9t?

I can't wait for this to become available :D awesome :DDDD

22. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I followed the iFixit guide and it was pretty straight forward. Then again, I am pretty comfortable with taking electronics apart and putting them back together.

I do highly recommend their 2nd HD upgrade package and following their guide. I like knowing that things are done right, even if the whole thing has to come apart.

23. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

totally agree with the things done right part :D though some here may/will disagree :D

but i am not sure about the iFixit kit. I read (here and on the ifixit site) that some are experiencing problems with the sata cable that they provide... I'm guessing you had no such issues? (which drive bay did you use for the new drive?)

24. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I didn't have any issues with my kit. The cable that came fit perfectly fine and was pre-bent to the specifications that was shown on their guide. I got the Samsung 340 EVO 128GB which appeared to be thinner that a regular 2.5" HD and placed it on the top bay - the bay that attaches to the black plastic housing, not the one that attaches to the aluminum case.