Upgrade Late 2011 15" MBP or Sell it and get 2012 rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattmitchell, Jul 18, 2012.

1. mattmitchell macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I purchased a late 2011 MBP (base line 15 inch) in January and now that the rMBP is out i feel like crap! haha. i do like the idea of having a CD drive, although i've only used it once since January. I don't care about not having firewire or ethernet. Do you think i would be better off upgrading my MBP to a 512 Crucial M4 SSD and maybe 8gb Crucial RAM also? That upgrade would cost roughly 500-600 Australian dollars. Or would it be better selling it and getting the rMBP Baseline model?

Was just wandering what you would do or if you had any thoughts! Thanks! :)

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Depends how much it would cost to swap to the retina. If it's twice as much or more, then I'd say do the upgrades. You might be surprised how much difference to performance the SSD and RAM will make. You're not comparing like with like though. You're talking about the price of 512GB SSD but the base retina only has 256GB doesn't it? I was just about to check that, but the Apple store is down...

3. mattmitchell thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i'm such an idiot! lol didn't even realise! 256gb Crucial M4 is $275 so it would be like 350 with RAM upgrade.

4. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

If a speed increase is what you really want then go with the SSD - it will feel like a new computer and you will never want to use a spinning disk again. Might as well add the RAM while you're in there. :D

I haven't seen the new display yet, but if that suits you go for the rMBP and you'll get both speed and an apparently amazing display. And some UI lag according to some, which you definitely won't get with your upgraded MBP.

5. mattmitchell thread starter macrumors newbie

you're right! if i do, is the Crucial M4 SSD and RAM a good choice? i chose just because of the price, and have read some good reviews.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Get 16GB RAM and 256 or 512GB SSD Crucial M4.
    You can get Write 230~60mbps Read 500~520mbps.

If you are concerned about space, get optibay.

7. auero macrumors 65816

Buy a Samsung 830 hard drive and if you need more space, get an optibay. That's what I use. I still have to order 16GB of ram but my geekbench isn't much off from the new rMBP.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say keep it, you're not really going to see much of an improvement, in cpu performance. The screen is a jump up, but is it worth the work of selling your current machine and buying another?

I'd say upgrade to an SSD and boost the ram, and it will feel like a new machine