Upgrade leopard to lion 10.7.2 now is it a good choice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shitoyama, Nov 27, 2011.

1. shitoyama macrumors member

Upgrade leopard to lion 10.7.2 now is it a good choice?what are some bugs that are still existing?and should i do a clean install or just update from the app?

2. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

There are still mixed opinions about Lion. Personally I love it.

A clean install would be better.

3. Ansah macrumors newbie

Ansah

I wouldn't upgrade to Lion unless there is some specific reason or need to do so (iCloud or something). I purchased my MBP used and running Lion. I had issues (memory consumption, random Wifi dropouts et al) and installed Snow Leopard, which is an amazingly speedy and stable OS.

I'll stay with SL for as long as I possibly can.

4. Ant.honey macrumors regular

Your mileage may vary, but I've experienced no issues with Lion thus far on a late 2011 MBP with Lion pre-installed. Also, even though I don't use even half of the new 'features', I like it vs SL - not that SL is bad.

5. praetorx macrumors regular

I second that.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Make sure you do a backup before you install a new OS. Do you use any PowerPC apps? If so, be aware that they won't work on lion and you'll need to either upgrade or replace them.

I like Lion a lot, but everyone is different. If you do decide to move to Lion, I'd do a clean install. Seems like people have had less problems when doing it that way.

7. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I too prefer Lion, but I feel the upgrade wasn't solid. I later did a clean install and it feels bullet proof to me.

The one thing you will give up by switching to Lion is Rosetta support. So if you have any apps that require Rosetta they will not be supported. They simply won't work. I have one important app at my office that requires it so on that particular Mac I have to hold it back to SL. Just make sure you don't need Rosetta for any reason.

8. mark28 macrumors 68000

Can you get 8-10 hours of battery life using Pages + Safari + MSN client with Lion on the 15" MBP?

9. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

I was burnt twice before - once with .7 and once with .7.1 upgrade on my 2010 17" MBP. Has anything changed for the better with 10.7.2? I had sleep/wake issues with previous dot releases along with random wifi dropouts. And for the WiFi dropouts Apple fixed it by firmware update on the Air - but I know there is no firmware update for 2010 MBP so I remain skeptical if 10.7.2 will do anything for me.

Anyone with 2010 MBP care to share their Lion experience?

10. Mersailios macrumors regular

I'm running 10.7.2 on a 15-inch Mid 2010 MacBook Pro (which was manufactured in September 2010) to test before I decide to fully move over and I haven't had any issues with the operating system at all. I performed a clean installation using a USB Flash Drive that I restored the contents of the InstallESD.dmg file to.

Here's what I've noticed thus far:
    • It seems to be marginally faster than 10.6.8 in most areas.
    • Scrolling in Safari is much more fluid when using the Intel HD Graphics processor.
    • An issue that I noticed with Numbers not displaying 3D charts when using the NVIDIA graphics processing unit on 10.6.8 has been resolved in 10.7.
    • Wireless is working properly even when resuming from sleep.
    • Resume isn't as much of a pain as it's made out to be, it's more a matter of wrapping your head around the way things work now compared to previous versions of Mac OS X.
    • iLife '09 works for the most part, although there are a few graphical bugs with GarageBand that I've noticed; I'll probably upgrade to iLife '11 when I upgrade to Mac OS X 10.7 fully.

11. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Very useful info there Mersailios. I had previously tried clean installs of .0 and .1 but still had issues. So I guess I should give .2 a try - as far as I know the hardware is similar between 15" and 17" 2010 models so may be, just may be it will work out OK - 3rd time's the charm etc!

Thanks

12. Mersailios macrumors regular

What I did was create an image of my Mac OS X 10.6.8 installation with all of my data using Disk Utility and tossed that on an external disk, then wiped the disk and installed Mac OS X 10.7 on it and pulled all of my data over from the image so this is getting as close to what a production roll out would be. I typically don't start looking at newer releases of Mac OS X until it hits a .2 or .3 update as I too have been burned in the past by wonky issues with .0 releases.

I'm hoping that it works out because I really like the new Mail and some of the features like Mission Control and Full Screen are starting to grow on me -- for example I can have Aperture running in Full Screen and continue to work in other applications as well at the same time now instead of having to continuously go in and out of full screen view.

13. old-wiz macrumors G3

I never do a software update, major or minor, without a clone backup on an external drive. Then if something goes wonky, I can recover quickly.

I finally updated my newest 13" MBP to Lion over the holiday weekend, did update install, then software update to get 10.7.2. So far no issues. Wi-fi runs fine even after repeated sleeping, no heat issues. I did change some of the preferences to go back to SL options when I could.

14. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Lion has significantly better security and I have it on a 2011 MBA 11", 2011 MBP 13", and 2011 MBP 17" without any issues. If you need to run PowerPC software, then you are out of luck.

15. Ant.honey macrumors regular

I have no clue. What you are describing does not sound too taxing however. I am most often connected to power and an external monitor running iTunes, Photoshop CS 5 and Lightroom.