Upgrade licence question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ObiWayneKenobi, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ObiWayneKenobi macrumors newbie

Hello. I'm a relatively new Mac user. Work were recently throwing away an iMac G5 so I thought I would rescue it and set it up at home. Newer works iMacs are running Lion and as one recently broke beyond repair I thought I could installed the Snow Leopard disc that came with it then upgrade further using the Lion licence it had. However, Snow Leopard doesn't want to install, simply saying it cannot be installed on this Mac. Why is this? I believe this iMac can be upgraded (see spec below) given it has a new Intel chip, so is it a licence issue? I don't know how the discs/licences work so maybe I just can't use this particular disc, I'm not sure. Can you advise please?

Machine Name: iMac
    Machine Model: iMac6,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM61.0093.B07
    SMC Version: 1.10f3
    Serial Number: W872820GVGN

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. ObiWayneKenobi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Weaselboy. It's a grey one, yes. I thought that might be the case. So this iMac will take the new versions of OS X then?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It will run 10.6 Snow Leopard, but nothing newer like Lion or Mountain Lion. Snow Leopard has been updated to the point it is very stable and Apple still issues security updates for it, so it would serve you well on that machine.

With 1GB of RAM it may be tad slow depending on what you want to do. Might want to bump up to 4GB if you can swing it. :)

5. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

The latest version of OS X that iMac should run is Lion.

That iMac I think came with Tiger so to upgrade you would want the retail Snow Leopard disk. You could then upgrade to Lion via the Mac App Store.

However you would really want to upgrade the RAM, as 1GB isn't really enough. I think Lion may require 2GB.

6. ObiWayneKenobi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both. I intend to get an additional 2Gb RAM - the manual that came with suggests it is only upgradable to 3Gb total.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

For RAM info, go to everymac.com and see what they say is the actual maximum amount you can put in it.