Upgrade Mac Mini Hard drive have questions.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dankman, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Dankman macrumors newbie

I have upgraded hard drives in a Mac Mini 1.6 Core Duo OS X 10.4.11 (WD WD1600BEVS) and a Firewire Clamshell Ibook OS X 10.3.9 (WD WD800BEVE). I just cloned a backup copy to the new drives. So I did not do a complete reinstall of the OS, since the disks aren't readily available right now. I have seen some issues with both of these drives.

Mac mini I am experiencing moments were the drive just hangs for a few seconds and then all the tasks catch up. I have noticed the speed of the drive is faster when doing large copies of files but tasks seem to suffer. Like I am not able to have as many tabs in safari open without safari stuttering when I am scrolling through a open page.

Clamshell Ibook has the same issues as the Mac Mini but it is more problematic. I thought replacing the IBM 4200 10 gig hard drive with the new WD 80 gig with 8mg of cache there would be some type of difference for the better. Again I noticed transfer and copy speeds are faster when copying large files. But when I browse web sites in Camino the pages are much slower.

I am trying to figure out if there is something that I overlooked. Besides doing a complete install of the software onto the drive, like firmware updates on the drives. I have not come across a way of doing that, yet. Maybe someone would like to chime in on something I have over looked or didn't think of. Anyways, thanks again for any and all help.

Dankman

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

After cloning the hard drive did you repair the hard drive permissions?

3. Dankman thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I verified and repaired disk permissions.

4. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

What did you use for cloning your drive? I have used Carbon Copy Cloner for all my drive changes for my Mini, MacBook and MacPro. I've never had an issue, and best of all, it's shareware.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

"Bester" of all would be freeware, you know. :p

6. Dankman thread starter macrumors newbie

I used Carbon Copy Cloner this time for the Mini and either CCC or SuperDuper for the Clamshell