Upgrade Mac Pro 4.1 quad core upgradeable to hex core when released?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brock2621, May 31, 2010.

1. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

I already committed to ordering 32gb of ram, and am now wondering, if it will be possible to upgrade to two hex core xeon into my Mac Pro from two quad's it currently has? (Mac Pro 4.1) I would be very interested in doing this but don't know the specifics of the sockets or architecture compatabilities...

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Technically speaking, it's possible (in general) with an update to the system firmware (microcode that will allow it to support the new processors). Other board makers are providing this for LGA1366 socket equiped boards.

Unfortunately however, Apple will never provide it to 2009 system owners, as it would cut into the sales of the 2010 models. :eek: :(

3. brock2621 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Well... with that news... does anybody know where to get the current 3.06 cores that I will upgrade myself?

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

3.06Ghz? :confused:

Take a look here (list of the 5500 series processors). The closest is the 2.93GHz version (X5570). There's also a 3.2 and 3.33GHz model as well.

Once you know what model you want, do a search, and see what comes up.

Generally speaking, I tend to go to Provantage.com (list of the LGA1366 Xeons currently available) for Xeon's, but they're not the only source. Others do get them from time to time.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just to remind you that 3.2GHz and 3.33GHz are 130W chips while 8-cores carry two 95W chips, meaning that two of those might cause heat and power issues as they draw 70W more power. BTW, has anyone upgraded to 2x130W?

@OP: Technically speaking, yes as they both use LGA 1366 socket. You can't use 3.06GHz version as that's single CPU version (Bloomfield), you have to use multi-CPU version which top out at 2.93GHz (for 95W chips) and they also cost a lot more.

6. Etherviz macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade any single CPU mp to a dual, without swapping the motherboard?

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Only the 2008 2.8GHz quad core, which was an option to remove one processor.

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

It's been done successfully by a couple of MR members (gugucom and Tutor). There's an entire thread on this as a How-To (versions used by Apple in the MP are "naked" = no Integrated Heat Sink <copper plate>, but they still got standard versions to work <retail or standard OEM tray>). You just have to be careful with the fan connectors attached to the base of the heat sinks used in the system.

IF the OP does this, reading that thread is a must to prevent from damaging the system (expensive proposition, which was learned the hard way).