Upgrade Mac Pro Set up

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chrisg2014, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Chrisg2014 macrumors regular

I'm bought a Mac Pro, I got a Core-8 modle, right now it has

1Tb HDD
    6Gb of RAM
    Two 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” processors
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5​

So basicly the base modle of the Core-8

I want to upgrade a lot of it when I get the money. The Storage, I really want a SSD and just have that be the start up disc so thats where Lion OS X is going to live with all my applications and then have my Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures and what ever else that is not an App have on a HDD as a home base for them. ​
    The second thing I want to do is upgrade the Ram, I want really badly 32Gb of RAM, I was going to have apple put that in but I thought I could probably get it 10x cheaper somewhere else. Can you leave a link of a place that has cheap ram and you can personally say it works great.​
    The last thing I want to do is I want to get a second Graphics Card, now the question if I get an ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics, will it matter that I have two different kinds of cards or no? Should I get the same card? Should I upgrade both? Is it going to make a differents? I'm editing videos on this computer so...I'll be using Final Cut Pro X and Motions and some other stuff.​

Thanks Guys and Gals for your help!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Excuse my ignorance, why do you want two graphic cards? How many displays are you driving?

3. Chrisg2014 thread starter macrumors regular

4 Monitors

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

The Mac Pro only has 2 of the 6pin power connectors for video cards. This can limit your options. Another 5770 will work fine, as it only requires 1 power connector, but the 5870 requires 2, so you would need an external power source for that card.

Check out OWC or Newegg for RAM