Upgrade MacBook 2,1 or Just Buy New?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PeggyLarner, Feb 24, 2010.

  1. PeggyLarner macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2010
    #1
    Hi, everyone,

    I have a MacBook 2,1, bought 3 years ago, that I've loved. Recently, though, it feels like it's falling behind...takes a lot of work to stream videos, run anything flash...and some newer games I'd like to play are just out of its reach. It's been out of space forever...80GB hard drive...all my media is already external :). I got this for grad school and it's served its purpose admirably, but I feel it's time to move on.

    I don't have a TON of money to work with, so here are my options currently (with a max budget around $1500):

    1) Hang onto this machine (with Snow Leopard) for another year or two and upgrade what I can. I don't know much about this, so I'd have NO idea what to buy. I've read the guides and I think I could get a new hard drive and up to 2GB memory (currently at 1). While all of this would be worlds above what I've got, I still don't know if this can keep pace with newer games, since it could already barely handle games of three years ago. I'm also stuck with the graphics card, right? Which is another big thing with games/video. I'd also like to take advantage of BootCamp but really don't know if my comp can handle Windows + Windows games. To top it off, my AppleCare plan expired yesterday, and I used it enough to be pretty wary of investing further in a laptop that's not covered.

    2) Wait for the rumored refresh and get a MBP (13 in). I love laptops and even the lower end would be a giant boost over what I have. BUT if it's media and gaming that are driving me to a new computer, I wonder if this is the best value, since I'm really paying more for the portability. This was much more important in grad school (and it's what I prefer) but it's not necessary. And I wonder if it would run games as efficiently as a desktop, since this is the big concern with my current comp. Would probably sell my MacBook if I could get anything for it, since I really don't have use for two laptops.

    *3) Get an iMac (better 21 in). Moving back to a desktop would be an adjustment BUT I'd get more for my money, and with wireless keyboard and mouse I wouldn't be locked into a standard setup necessarily. Since this would really be a media center it should really be a desktop anyway. I would keep my MacBook for anything MSOffice related, for internet browsing, for travel, etc., as long as it lasts. I'd see the desktop as a long-term purchase, too, and wouldn't look to trade up for several years.

    If it makes a difference I'll probably be buying a refurb...if I get a desktop, I'm considering bypassing AppleCare (but am wary of doing so).

    So, the ultimate question...is it worth upgrading to hold off a new purchase? I don't really know what my machine is capable of, and what stuff to get if I give it a go. I'm leaning toward the iMac instead. Any advice/insight would be appreciated!
     
  2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

    BittenApple

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2008
    #2
    Upgrade your RAM to 4GB (~$100) and upgrade your hard drive to 500GB for $90. You will feel like you have a new machine. Also if your MacBook has any chipping problems near the keyboard area (or discoloring) Apple will replace it for no fee (even out of warranty)
     
  3. PeggyLarner thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2010
  4. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

    BittenApple

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2008
  5. PeggyLarner thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2010
    #5
    No, it's a Core 2 Duo. I think it's the second version of the Macbook. Maybe it's 3GB? According to the guides it's definitely not 4.

    Heh. Like I said, I'm ignorant on all this stuff. :eek:
     
  6. mec31 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #6
    I'm coming late to this thread, but I have this exact machine and was waiting for the Macbook refresh myself. What a disappointment in the case of the 13in.! Anyway, the 2,1 can take a 3Gig RAM uprade, and it makes a _big_ difference. I have this and am quite happy with the results.
     

Share This Page