Upgrade MacBook from 10.4.11 to 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gystav, Aug 8, 2010.

1. gystav macrumors newbie

Hi ive owned my MacBook for quite a while now, and I would like to upgrade it from 10.4.11 to 10.5. Im not so into macs so I dont really know how to do. Here is my mac's info:

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2, 1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number of processors: 1
    Total number of cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 667MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
    SMC Version: 1.17f0
    Serial number: W873816WZ5W
    Motion Detector (Sudden Motion Sensor):
    (I dont know if the "titles" is right, it says in swedish on my mac so i just transladet it. Thanks for your help :)

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

Why not upgrade to 10.6?
    All you need to do is buy an install disk: either directly from Apple or from another website (Amazon, eBay). And a tip—although being against Apple's wishes—the $29 version of Snow Leopard is the same as the $100+ version and will install on your computer without having to buy the bundled software.

3. bigbonedp macrumors newbie

Upgrade MacBook from 10.4.11 to 10.5

Hi gystav.

With respect to mrchincilla, go for 10.5 upgrade, at least first.
    I had trouble when I bought 10.6 upgrade for my sons MacBook running 10.4.11.
    10.6 has to upgrade from 10.5 as there is significant internal differences to 10.4. (I don't understand them all, I just know what happened as a result of doing this)
    As a result of upgrading 10.6 from 10.4.11, my son's MacBook took over 8 minutes to boot up 10.6.
    In the end we reverted back to 10.5 then did the upgrade to 10.6 and all works fine.

good luck,
    bigbonedp

4. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

An erase/install would be essentially the same thing. The corruptions and problems come from trying to upgrade old software – such as the 10.4 > 10.5 blue screen problem caused by Unsanity's Application Enhancer.
    I really wouldn't go through the hassle of buying Leopard AND Snow Leopard, that's just financially inefficient.

Snow Leopard will run greatly on your machine and an erase/install would give you no problems – at the Install screen click "Options" in the bottom left of the window and it will give you three options: Archive and Install, Erase and Install or Upgrade. But make sure to back up any important data first.

Edit: Oh, and maybe look into upgrading your RAM to 2GB or maybe 4GB, it's not too expensive and would give you a good performance boost if you like to have many concurrently-running applications.

5. gystav thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill think that ill stick to the 10.5 :) thanks for your help both of you. Do you know where I can get a hold of a 10.5 update? Becuase i read in some other forums that it isnt being sold anymore.

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01