Upgrade MacBook or New Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VaatiKaiba, Jul 10, 2009.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I have a late 2007 MacBook (white, 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD), and unfortunately I've run out of hard drive space. So, I'm wondering whether or not it's worth my money to invest in upgrades or to get a Mac mini, and to use Back to My Mac / Screen Sharing to access my extended storage when I'm away.

I'm trying to weigh up the pros (eg, better graphics) and the cons (eg, cost) of getting the Mini, so I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice? I'd be planning to use the Mini as a media center connected to my HDTV, while use my MacBook for more current projects, etc.

Thanks in advance!

2. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

Well the Mac Mini also comes with a 120GB Hard drive, so upgrade the Hard Drive if you need more space. As to getting a Mac Mini, it would be a great choice for a media center.

3. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was looking at the higher end model anyway for the extra RAM.

Speaking of which, is it true that increasing the RAM in my MacBook would mean a decrease in battery life?

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

It is unlikely that increasing RAM decreases battery life.

5. akbc macrumors 6502

You can just upgrade the hard drive in your MacBook to 500GB and get some more life out of it, I mean it's still a great machine, so I don't know why you'd give up the portability and upgrade to a Mini.

6. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

4 gigs of ram and a larger faster hard drive would be cheaper and more cost efficient than buying a mini.

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I agree with just upgrading your hdd and ram. It'll make your mac feel brand new :)

Plus, if you're just running out of space with 120GB, a 320GB or higher drive should last you a good while :)

Not to mention you'd either have to upgrade the mini's hdd or add an external since it's only 120GB as well.

9. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to clarify, I'd be running the Mac Mini alongside the MacBook, rather than replacing the MacBook altogether.

If I'm just upgrading the hard drive, is any 2.5" SATA compatible, or do they have to be certain types?

Thanks for all your input!

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Any 2.5" sata should work. If you even think you may need the extra ram, go with 4 gigs. DDR2 is dirt cheap right now, and your gma 950 is also leaching some of what you've already got.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Sorry, I guess I was just thrown by the title of your thread "Upgrade MacBook or New Mac Mini"...:rolleyes:

12. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

Upgrade the MacBook and squeeze it to its last inch of life! (Then squeeze it some more! :D)

Max out the RAM to 4 GB with this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148201&Tpk=crucial%20memory

Then upgrade the hard-drive with either this if you're looking for space...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314&Tpk=wd5000bevt

Or this if you're looking for speed...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136280&Tpk=wd3200bekt

If you're even a little squeamish about cracking open your MacBook, refer to this...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Device/MacBook_Core_2_Duo

If you really want a separate monitor just buy a nice big one with the hundreds of dollars you saved from maximizing what you already have, then hook your MacBook up to it. If you need to take your MB on the road, just disconnect it from the monitor. It's the best of both worlds!:D

13. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I absolutely love the Mac mini's...and with the latest update they are, again, the best bang-for-your-buck Mac value right now.

That being said...I'd upgrade the hdd (and optionally the ram as well) I your current MacBook.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...a refurb Nvidia whitebook would also be a good choice = $749 and then upgrade to 4GB RAM and what ever size HDD you want...

15. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

If I were you, I would upgrade the macbook and get a mini. That is what I am planning on doing in September. Your macbook is a year newer than mine...I got mine in December of 2006. Of course, I have upgraded my hdd once and maxed my RAM out. Which is 1 GB less than your is capable of addressing btw...

So, my advice, max out the macbook with upgrades and get the mini...;)

16. seb-opp macrumors 6502

upgrading your MB's Hard disk will be much more convenient than doing that, not to mention cheaper.

17. VaatiKaiba thread starter macrumors 6502

I've made my decision, and I'm going to upgrade the MacBook, and leave the mini until I feel I really need one (or an iMac instead maybe).

And @Shawny D, great minds think alike! I'd seen 2 of the 3 things you'd recommended before, and those are the ones I'm going for - the 4GB RAM, and the 320GB 7200rpm HDD.

Thanks everyone for your advice, really helpful. No doubt I'll be posting somewhere asking for more advice on transferring my info, etc, in the near future!