Upgrade Macbook Pro HDD Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexpow, Dec 17, 2008.

1. alexpow macrumors newbie

:confused:Hello,

I have decided to manually upgrade my hard drive (from 120GB- 5400 rpm to 320GB 7200 rpm) in my macbook pro, and I need help with a reformatting question.

I bought my laptop through a student laptop initiative and it came with Microsoft office 2003 which was upgraded to MS Office 2008 at the school for free. I do not have the software with me, they did it at my school. If I start over from scratch on the new drive can I just drag and drop those applications from my old drive (in an enclosure) onto the new drive and still use them?

I could just use CarbonCopyCloner on it, but I would kinda like to start fresh on the new drive if possible.

Thanks

Alex Powell

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I know that Office 2004 is self containing and can be drag/dropped to a new drive and function the same while retaining the serial. Not sure with 2008 but I wouldn't be surprised.

To make sure, save the Home/Library/App Support folder, check if there is a Microsoft/Office folder in the Home/Library, and then also the Home/Library/Preferences [quite possible the same locations, however in the Macintosh HD/Library/* as opposed to the Home/Library/* as well].

Those would be the most likely locations of a serial key.