Upgrade macbook pro LCD to hi res - after market?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imanz90, Sep 28, 2010.

1. imanz90 macrumors newbie

So I received a macbook pro 15'' as a present. It is the brand new i7 unibody machines. I just swapped out the hard drive for an SSD and bumped up the ram to 8GB now Id like to tackle the display. I would really like to upgrade the LCD to a hi res matte screen. The LCD currently in the machine is the one with the 1440 x 900 resolution. Does anyone know if this is possible and if so what is the model number of the replacement LCD? - I have replaced a decent amount of LCDs in various laptops so that will not be a concern for me.

- Thanks~!

2. moel macrumors 6502

I think in this instance you may well find that you will. How for instance are you going to remove the glass panel to remove the LCD and then put it back to look stock?

Simple answer it's stupidly hard. There were pics on here of a company that do it, and the returned item is less than satisfactory i seem to recall.

For the extra hundred odd pixels..it really ISN'T worth the time, the money...or the effort.

3. deepak.selvaraj macrumors newbie

i have no idea about aftermarket deals. but i really think Apple should consider upgrading the display of its notebook computers. a 15" dell offers 1920x1080 full HD display

4. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

Is there a way for him to just buy a whole new LCD and then replace that whole top part, instead of just the LCD itself? I'm guessing it's gonna be freakin expensive, but I kinda wanna see it done. I'm almost positive it can be done on my MBP1,1 but I'm not sure sure about the uMBP.

5. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I hope Apple doesn't do Full HD 1080p. 16:9 belongs in TV's, not computers. But maybe that's just me.

6. NintendoFan macrumors regular

7. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I actually disagree. I like the uniformity of having everything 16:9 regardless of resolution. Although it does mean less total pixels, it also means less issues like image stretching for cheap 16:10 monitors like mine when I try to play my PS3 on it. I don't even notice anymore, but it's always in the back of my mind.

8. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Take out your ssd, ram, sell Mbp and buy a hd one

It'll be cheaper, easier, look better, work better, Have a warranty